HW57 won't group

Blunderbuss

I haven't owned an air rifle for years but bought a new HW57 in .177 on a whim, just over a year ago. We have a few rats and squirrels in places where the rimfires would be OTT, so an air rifle would be ideal, but ....it won't group for toffee and it's doing my head in!

I have checked the scope mounts, tried a different scope, checked the stock screws are tight and tried different pellets. I know springers are very hold sensitive and have tried the "artillery hold" and other variations. I have had several other people (a few off here) who are known decent shots try it but no one has yet been able to group with it, so it's not totally down to me not being able to hit a cow's **** with a banjo.

I have just polished the internals and fitted a Tinbum tuning kit. This did reduce the horribly twanginess, recoil and noise a lot. It is now a lot smoother to cock and fire but it's barely made any difference to the accuracy. I'm talking around inch to inch and a half groups at 15m. Every now and and then it will shoot a slightly better group and then throw a couple of fliers miles out. The POI also seems to shift a fair bit every time I use it.

Although a Weihrauch I know it is a budget gun, but surely it should shoot better than that? I know a PCP would be easier to shoot accurately but can't justify the expense for occasional use and TBH, I'm determined to try and make it shoot.

To be fair, I have only tried about 4 or 5 pellets. I have just ordered a load of sample pellet packs off eBay to see if I can find one it likes.

It is pellets? Is it me? Is it just a pile of poo? Any other ideas?

Something seriously wrong for inch and half group at fifteen metres.

Doubt its pellet even ones that don't suit the barrel would group at fifteen. Has it got a mod or muzzle break on have you tried without it ?

Other than that no idea

It always amazes me why people jump to the conclusion that the gun is at fault (it may be ) but if the zero jumps about its way more likley to be the scope .

Who has jumped to that conclusion? I have considered the scope, mounts, pellets, gun and the nut behind the butt!

It may be the scope but as I have mentioned, I have tried two. The second one I borrowed came off a gun that shoots accurately with it.

The pop up breach on a hw 57 can be missaligned and shave pellets also .

Try catching a pellet shot into water from a distance and that shoould show u any pellet shavings on one side perhaps

I don't think it is shaving pellets but will give that a try. Edited by Blunderbuss

heard this all before....to my pain...........very interested in the out come, as i couldnt compleat my mission on the air arms i had to give back..........the air arms was also a non-break barrell...

that is one of the reasons i have chosen the break barrell merc s.............................

keep your thoughts coming..

heard this all before....to my pain...........very interested in the out come, as i couldnt compleat my mission on the air arms i had to give back..........the air arms was also a non-break barrell...

that is one of the reasons i have chosen the break barrell merc s.............................

keep your thoughts coming..

Interesting, I have owned a few break barrel springers in the dim and distant past, and they all shot really well. In theory a fixed barrel should be more accurate! Not in our experience it seems!

Not familiar with the gun but, my webley tracker did this years ago had loads of trouble with a Niko sterling scope, set everything up all good then pop? Zero all over the place.

It ended up back at Niko with them telling my dad, that's how long ago were talking that everything is fine its grouping well on a .243 using whatever size bullet, I tell them to stick it on a spring air rifle using rws superdome , phone call later were sending you out a new scope, which went back to the shop and I swapped for a tasco.

Can you shoot the rifle with open sights to see if it groups?

Could just be the spring knocking the stuffing out of the scope?

Barrel crown?

The crown is undamaged

Not familiar with the gun but, my webley tracker did this years ago had loads of trouble with a Niko sterling scope, set everything up all good then pop? Zero all over the place.

It ended up back at Niko with them telling my dad, that's how long ago were talking that everything is fine its grouping well on a .243 using whatever size bullet, I tell them to stick it on a spring air rifle using rws superdome , phone call later were sending you out a new scope, which went back to the shop and I swapped for a tasco.

Can you shoot the rifle with open sights to see if it groups?

Could just be the spring knocking the stuffing out of the scope?

As it happens, the scope is a Niko Sterling. As I said in the OP, I did briefly try another scope, but didn't have the time to set it up and test it as well as I'd have liked. I will refit the iron sights and have a go with them

Have you tried resting your fore hand on a shooting bag and resting the gun in your hand and then trying to shoot it.

Yep, tried that. I know how hold sensitive spring air rifles can be, so have tried a variety of holds and none where the forend rests on anything other than my hand. Edited by Blunderbuss

Scrap it ,too late for return ,get a H.W 95 but make sure its been fettled the new ones have quality issues .On you tube there,s an irish chap done about 15 video,s hunting with 1 tuned to 12ft/lbs and he does the do at 40 to 50 yds atb

It is indeed too late to return it but I'm going to persevere for a little longer. Although I'm peeved that a new gun shoots so badly I'm also intrigued as to what's causing it and determined to try and find out. It's certainly nothing obvious! If I get no joy I will replace it.

Edited by Blunderbuss

It is NOT too late to return the gun - check your consumer rights and forget about the old chestnut of one years warranty - this is over and above your rights. If the gun is not performing as it should then it is not fit for purpose and has not lasted a reasonable time. Any doubts simply contact consumer direct.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting topic. I sold my tuned TX200HC, fantastic accuracy but way to heavy for this ole tart and have been toying with a 57 as they are light. I tried one in my RFD's 25mt range, spot on accuracy although the pop up thingy is not a great design and could do with being white so you can see the bloody hole but that apart it seems a really nice gun to shoot.

For my little test, I used AA Field pellets which were fine so didn't bother trying anything else.

I have not bought it yet though..........................am I a springer man..........................not really just think I should have one in the mix.

Phil

Apologies in advance if this is too basic a suggestion but it has not been mentioned yet...

New rifle barrels have a thick oily/tarry coating in the bore when sold. Did you thoroughly clean this all out?

Edited by peek-at

Apologies in advance if this is too basic a suggestion but it has not been mentioned yet...

New rifle barrels have a thick oily/tarry coating in the bore when sold. Did you thoroughly clean this all out?

Good point, but yes I have given the barrel a good clean