HW57 won't group

Blunderbuss

Very interesting topic. I sold my tuned TX200HC, fantastic accuracy but way to heavy for this ole tart and have been toying with a 57 as they are light. I tried one in my RFD's 25mt range, spot on accuracy although the pop up thingy is not a great design and could do with being white so you can see the bloody hole but that apart it seems a really nice gun to shoot.

For my little test, I used AA Field pellets which were fine so didn't bother trying anything else.

I have not bought it yet though..........................am I a springer man..........................not really just think I should have one in the mix.

Phil

I have just bought some AA field in different sizes, but haven't got round to trying them yet. You are right, it is a handy, well balanced, "pointable" rifle which looks to be well finished and put together. All the more frustrating that it won't shoot, so I am determined to persevere.

• 2 years later...

Having the same problem with my hw35e excellent groups at 30yds with open sights but need a scope as sight not as good as it used to be,have tried two good quality hawke scopes both have same results it will put pellet on pellet for 3 or 4 shots then go haywire with pellets sometimes up to 6 ins away, thanks in advance for any help in solving the problem.

On 29/05/2017 at 21:56, Blunderbuss said:

I haven't owned an air rifle for years but bought a new HW57 in .177 on a whim, just over a year ago. We have a few rats and squirrels in places where the rimfires would be OTT, so an air rifle would be ideal, but ....it won't group for toffee and it's doing my head in!

I have checked the scope mounts, tried a different scope, checked the stock screws are tight and tried different pellets. I know springers are very hold sensitive and have tried the "artillery hold" and other variations. I have had several other people (a few off here) who are known decent shots try it but no one has yet been able to group with it, so it's not totally down to me not being able to hit a cow's **** with a banjo.

I have just polished the internals and fitted a Tinbum tuning kit. This did reduce the horribly twanginess, recoil and noise a lot. It is now a lot smoother to cock and fire but it's barely made any difference to the accuracy. I'm talking around inch to inch and a half groups at 15m. Every now and and then it will shoot a slightly better group and then throw a couple of fliers miles out. The POI also seems to shift a fair bit every time I use it.

Although a Weihrauch I know it is a budget gun, but surely it should shoot better than that? I know a PCP would be easier to shoot accurately but can't justify the expense for occasional use and TBH, I'm determined to try and make it shoot.

To be fair, I have only tried about 4 or 5 pellets. I have just ordered a load of sample pellet packs off eBay to see if I can find one it likes.

It is pellets? Is it me? Is it just a pile of poo? Any other ideas?

Hi mate, you said you bought a new rifle... you sound like you know what your doing. Did you clean the barrel from new as they have oil / grease in them to prevent rusting in transit etc. 

Also have you done a recent barrel clean? 

And what pellets are you using and size?

hello, what make of pellets have you tried, ? what scopes, what mounts ? the loading port did have problems a few years back but HW say it was sorted for the new models, you are not likely to get a replacement now as over a year owned and you have fitted a tune kit, i never like these types of loading ports on air rifles, have tried a few and some oldies, my last springer was a HW 96K and always recommend those or a 99 S , saying that it still might be the port system, when i bought the 95K the importer  sent some HW pellets and they were very good,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper