Leather shooting boots

Cornish lad

Hi guys looking for some advice on the above ,I've been invited to join some good friends doing some walked up grouse in Scotland ,and so I think I might need to invest in a good quality boot ,which I can also use afterwards for general shooting / beating ,been recommended the meindl doure extreme 12 inch has any body any thoughts on this boot or any similar boots that will be up to several years wear to make the cost be a bit gentler also need to get some soon to try and get worn in a bit before the end of September thanks in advance

Harkila Pro Hunter GTX (The 12" version) very comfortable and a superb back up service from Harkila. I've had all makes of wellies and during the last decade the quality has dropped away. A steep investment but well worth the money if you look after them!

I prefer a shorter boot ........ worn with long gaiters. I have walked up grouse for over 30 years with this combination in various 'makes', and the present set are Brasher (model unknown, but about 5 years old and bought in Pitlochry) leather boots with gaiters from John Norris (their own brand?).

Also recommend Lowa extreme hunter and rate very highly. I have wrecked many other brands.

quote name="a303" post="3266432" timestamp="1496231641"]

I use Lowa Hunter Extremes in winter and Lowa Tibets in summer.

First pair were still going strong after 3 years. Only swopped em as I wanted a bigger size and they were on sale.

I prefer a shorter boot ........ worn with long gaiters. I have walked up grouse for over 30 years with this combination in various 'makes', and the present set are Brasher (model unknown, but about 5 years old and bought in Pitlochry) leather boots with gaiters from John Norris (their own brand?).

^^ Me too

There's two schools of thought round here, some go with long boots like "meindl doure extreme 12 inch" whilst others go with the ankle boot n' gaiters combo, both give great ankle support and will do the job very well, but for me it's the ankle boot n' gaiters combo as I believe that's the more versatile combination and I look less like a sister chasing good old boy :yes:

I'm a fan of Meindl boots it must be said, but always best to go and try the various brands in person for best fit.

Gaiters. Not all gaiters will cut the mustard for a formal occasion like being invited on a walked up day at the grouse, most are the wrong colour, most are synthetic material (that make an annoying noise as you walk) and many may be too short.

I'm not a formal occasion kind of guy but I'd make the effort if invited. Personally I'd go with long breeks ankle boots and green ventile gaiters, ventile material is great in a gaiter. But for a breeches (+4s') guy, the main problem is length, the gaiter should fasten above the cuff of the breeches leg and many off the shelf garments may prove a poor fit.

There are several outlets doing ventile gaiters but few will do them bespoke, Hilltrek over in Aboyne will, very helpful people (My only connection to them was buying a ventile field jacket and ventile shirt from them), and you never know off the shelf may be fine:

http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/Ventile-Gaiters.html

I'd go with single ventile and if need be I'd pay a wee bit extra for made to measure if I needed the length.

Edited by Uilleachan

Mine are Crispi from Italy from Amazon 4th season this year and I walk up grouse about 10 times a year and mine are still going strong, half price of most other boots.

Very true. I have the same boots. Going strong after 5 seasons of beating and shooting 20 days a season plus general hill walking.

B.