AA S410 Vs. Brocock Compatto

Grange1905

Hi guys,

I am currently looking into getting myself a new toy and found myself stuck..

I have always owned Air Arms air rifles including S300,S400,S410 and the TDR - I'm very pleased with all of them and I know they're nice and reliable.. But I have also recently sseen a very tempting ad for a Brocock Compatto.

Which one would you go for and why? Main use for me is hunting, with some casual target practise. Would appreciate comments from anyone who own(ed) a compatto, as I've never had a chance to shoot one!

Cheers!

Ive no experience of the compatto, but I've got a concept s6 and I enjoy using it. Magazine is a bit fussy, but loads and cycles most domed pellets just fine. It's also very accurate, pellet on pellet at 30 yards, and so short and light it's a joy to use. Gets about 40 shots at 11ft lb before zero starts to shift. Nice little thing really, my rapid hardly sees the light of day.

Ive no experience of the compatto, but I've got a concept s6 and I enjoy using it. Magazine is a bit fussy, but loads and cycles most domed pellets just fine. It's also very accurate, pellet on pellet at 30 yards, and so short and light it's a joy to use. Gets about 40 shots at 11ft lb before zero starts to shift. Nice little thing really, my rapid hardly sees the light of day.

hello, i had one a few years ago and found the mags like that, they made a batch of bad ones ? got em changed

Not going to knock the Compatto simply because I have not tried one but they are Daystate's love child which would put me right off. I shoot/hunt more than is good for me (according to her indoors) and I need a rifle that can be relied on no matter what, my results are important because my Landowners are not interested in anything but dead vermin. I have used Air Arms rifles since my SM100 many years ago and via the TX200 and the S200 I have finally settled on the S410 classic in .177 about 5 years ago for all my "work", I have recently added the S410 .22 Carbine with a stunning Walnut stock to my armoury and I will most likely stay true to these 2 guns till my final breath is drawn. IMHO until a major step forward in Airgun design occurs I believe that nothing on the market can out perform these guns to any kind of level that matters in the real world.

Not going to knock the Compatto simply because I have not tried one but they are Daystate's love child which would put me right off. I shoot/hunt more than is good for me (according to her indoors) and I need a rifle that can be relied on no matter what, my results are important because my Landowners are not interested in anything but dead vermin. I have used Air Arms rifles since my SM100 many years ago and via the TX200 and the S200 I have finally settled on the S410 classic in .177 about 5 years ago for all my "work", I have recently added the S410 .22 Carbine with a stunning Walnut stock to my armoury and I will most likely stay true to these 2 guns till my final breath is drawn. IMHO until a major step forward in Airgun design occurs I believe that nothing on the market can out perform these guns to any kind of level that matters in the real world.

Purely out of interest Bruno, is there a reason why you haven't looked at the 510's?

Hi guys,

I am currently looking into getting myself a new toy and found myself stuck..

I have always owned Air Arms air rifles including S300,S400,S410 and the TDR - I'm very pleased with all of them and I know they're nice and reliable.. But I have also recently sseen a very tempting ad for a Brocock Compatto.

Which one would you go for and why? Main use for me is hunting, with some casual target practise. Would appreciate comments from anyone who own(ed) a compatto, as I've never had a chance to shoot one!

Cheers!

I have the Compatto in .177 flavour and have fitted a regulator. I was thinking of buying a Daystate Airwolf but not now this Brocock is brilliant.

Simples....both my current S410's came at a bargain price whilst the S510 seems to hold it's value but the ultimate sporter is a Gun that I would like to own and if one comes up at a good price then I will grab it, also keen to find a Pro Sport for less than a kings ransom. I suppose, in reality, that I could go out and buy a new US but , despite being financially "comfortable" I love a bargain and have never had any qualms about buying used Airguns.

Simples....both my current S410's came at a bargain price whilst the S510 seems to hold it's value but the ultimate sporter is a Gun that I would like to own and if one comes up at a good price then I will grab it, also keen to find a Pro Sport for less than a kings ransom. I suppose, in reality, that I could go out and buy a new US but , despite being financially "comfortable" I love a bargain and have never had any qualms about buying used Airguns.

Fair enough mate.

I was thinking of getting a Compatto, had the chance to try one last night at the local range.... Don't think I will now.

Any comments why?

All reviews seem to be fantastic, accuracy, design, magazine, barrel everything sounds spot on, so looking for some constructive critisism..

Edited by Grange1905

The magazine allows pellets to fall out into the gun .

The bolt has no lock down so is very easily caught and knocked back .

The safety is in the trigger guard and u have to switch hands to use it .

My mates made a horrible twangy noise .

And wouldn't hold a group past 30 yds

Another vote for the AA 410 classic in .177 :yes:

Any comments why?

All reviews seem to be fantastic, accuracy, design, magazine, barrel everything sounds spot on, so looking for some constructive critisism..

Hi Grange

The bits I liked, nice ergonomics, trigger felt good. loading was easy.

The bits I didn't like:- When the hammer drops there is only what I can describe as a horrible resounding twang, which set up such a vibration it distorted the view through the scope. For some reason the rifle pulled slightly high left on shot, this is of course detrimental to a quick follow up shot. Grouping was not the best 30 yrds .177 1" to 2".

I am not setting myself up as an expert. The rifle I used was not mine and just one I borrowed to have a go. If I am honest I am realy dissapointed because I like the look and feel, but I could not live with that noise/vibration.

I have shot with one at the range which seemed fine with bis mags .177 but my pal had two, one was a tack driver but the other had to go back several times and in the end he just got rid. Daystate are not the best company to deal with when it comes to a fault.

If you are fancying a smaller lighter gun, have a look at the FX Wildcat, superb to use, good shot count over 220 per fill, lightweight to carry around all day and very accurate. Sadly more expensive though.

Phil