Lots of questions for a newbie

Evening guys hope everyone is well

I've a couple of questions for you all, having put my first set of birds down last year and only having walked up days over dogs, I've a few birds left over so I'm looking for a few hundred ex layers to top up the numbers. Having little experience of them I'd like to pick your brains.

1, what is the average price for ex Layers?

2, could anyone recommend any game farms in Leicestershire?

3, has anyone one tried a wild meadow flower mix on their shoots for cover and more veritaty for the birds to pick away At?

4, I've heard of sum about penning ex layers first but I've been recommend to just let them loose in the evening and find their way to roost and keep dogging them back in.

5, having put no partridges down last year and cutting it a bit short for buying chicks, are ex laying partridges any Good?

Sorry for all the questions

Cheers

Our shoot had tried the wildflow mix; which is ok

some days its full of birds and other days who knows where they are! - it doesn't provide much cover I think may be the issue, so maybe ensure that there are other crops or cover nearby?

Its great for wildlife and songbirds though- its often full of birds of all sorts: pheasant, Partridge, pigeons, guinea fowl, songbirds and deer sometimes

our one seems to have come up again this year- so that may save some money on seed, I don't know if it is sold as a perennial?

Our tenant farm this year is growing a sugar beat and kale mix I think so I don't know what that will be like?

Just to be clear though: these are all observations from when I am out and about on our little shoot so they may well be wrong or I may not have a clue what I am on about!

Edited by SurreySquireler

Ex lay always seem an easy fix,,but ,, remember as they have probably been caught up on a shoot,they are very wiley birds,They have been over the guns before.!!.

And do tend to stray at the first shots over them..

Keeper I knew used to Cull all the old birds with a .22 as they taught the poults which way to keep out of trouble....

Labrador or Setter are good mixes to try; we have had them both for a few seasons now and they seem to withstand the weather quite well and contain a multitude of flower seed heads.

We pay around the £2.50 - £2.75 mark for ex layers, and the next couple of weeks is the time we usually collect ours.

We pen ours for the first couple of weeks, but ours is a huge pen containing trees for roosting and plenty of shade and cover. A shoot about 5 miles away simply release theirs onto their land.

We don't dog in and we have no experience of ex laying Partridges.

• 2 weeks later...

1, what is the average price for ex Layers? - I thinK we paid £3 a bird delivered and wings clipped.
2, could anyone recommend any game farms in Leicestershire? Sorry not Local.
3, has anyone one tried a wild meadow flower mix on their shoots for cover and more veritaty for the birds to pick away At? These are what we have put on our cover crops this year : http://www.brightseeds.co.uk/products/_10_game_cover_crops/gamecover_maize/double_barrel_maize_gamecover/30/ & http://www.brightseeds.co.uk/products/15_wild_bird_mixtures/pheasant_finch_gamecover_conservation_mix/47/
4, I've heard of sum about penning ex layers first but I've been recommend to just let them loose in the evening and find their way to roost and keep dogging them back in. Our Exlayers go into our pen and last time we kept them in for 8 weeks which worked well, previous years they have been let out after 2 weeks but I think they do better staying longer !
5, having put no partridges down last year and cutting it a bit short for buying chicks, are ex laying partridges any Good? We don`t put partridge down so cant advise !

:good:

Edited by salop sniper