Kia Sportage And Sorento

A bloke at work had a sorento and it had a silly electrical fault that made it cut out anywhere, anytime. You might drive a mile or fifty miles? Totally unpredictable. Might restart straight away but sometimes it could be an hour or more. No one could find out the fault. Eventually someone knew what was causing the problem. All machines will break down sometime but they didn't have much of a technical backup. The vehicle was off of the road for nearly 18 month's. Once the fault was rectified they got rid quick.

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe (kia sorento re badge) and have had it 7 years (longest i've ever had a car)

Apart from having to have the EGR valve cleaned and things like brake pads, it's been faultless.

30mpg round town and 45mpg on a run.(automatic gearbox)

Couldn't fault my sorento, it was one of the very first ones and did everything and more I could of asked of it. We ended up getting my wife a new kia rio as we were so impress with the sorento. Completley different car but again can't fault it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either new sorento or sportage.

I was thinking about buying one a while ago but what put me of was the road tax £500 per year but saying that I ended up getting a jeep diesel and that is £500 there is not much escape unless you want to go really small.

As for problems with them any car can have computer problems that may or may not take and age to fix my friend had a little citron and every now and then the stirring would just lock up only when going very slow but his garage could not find the problem so he put it in on a newer one cost him a few grand but at least he felt safe in it.

• 3 weeks later...

My experience is second hand but my mother ran a Sorento for 6-7 years and my sister in law currently has a sportage. Both have been reliable work horses. The previous generation sorento had a higher towing capacity to the newest one and this is the only reason my mother swapped to a land cruiser. Otherwise it's a car which has survived hard work with minimal mechanical sympathy!

Father in law got a new sportage, when you drive one for a week you realise why they are so cheap, plastic, hard suspension,it feels like it was made on the cheap, he sent it back and got a new volvo instead.can't comment on reliability but they really are the bottom of the market so far as quality cars go