Why do we have to persist with imperial units as if they have any relevance to brexit?

Damned near ever commercially useful field to the country is standardised to metric, most of us under 40 only understand metric, and the only people without a functioning grasp of metric units are either retired or about to!

Give me standardised units that are as close to a common language with the rest of the world as possible.

So ALL other countries are fully metric are they?

Not yet but its pretty close, hence as close to a common language as possible.

The states is the only place to my knowledge that is still pretty entirely imperial outside of appropriate sections of industry, and even their imperial units are not a common language with ours.

Why do we have to persist with imperial units as if they have any relevance to brexit?

Damned near ever commercially useful field to the country is standardised to metric, most of us under 40 only understand metric, and the only people without a functioning grasp of metric units are either retired or about to!

Give me standardised units that are as close to a common language with the rest of the world as possible.

Whereas I take your point and agree with what you say, I'll just point out that a shot size is neither metric nor Imperial - it is just a shot size. If the maker is going to sell his goods in this country, for my money (which it is) if he is going to just use sizes, then they should be English. If, on the other hand, he gives a dimension then I care not whether it be metric or Imperial as I then know what size I'm getting - and agree that metric in this case is by far the simpler. One member has just bought some Pigeon Power in 6s. Really? I've just patterned some Black Gold in 7&1/2s. Really?

Edited by wymberley

........all sixes and sevens. If the pigeon is in the pattern and that is up to you, then it will not know the difference metric or otherwise.

Quite right. Unless of course you've had to change your usual brand of 6 or 7 and then start mising/ wounding at a range which was previously on the cards and you can't fiure out why until you finally discover that the new ones are 5s or 6s and the pattern is insufficient to kill cleanly. Or you could buy from one make where they have two different size 6s.

For me it don't matter whether in English shot size or metric so long as there is a size on the box. Nearly all gun, industrial bolts etc engineering is in imperial.

Using either metric or imperial is fine it's when you need to convert from not to the other it gets messy.

Edited by figgy

+1

I use imperial all the time it's a much easier system than metric! When I served my time (not that long ago <10 years) we were taught both units and I still prefer imperial!

wow, just wow!

so, it's easier to devide 1 mile by 2/3 than 1 Km (1000 mt) by 100 mt .... or even use 2 different measurment to epress your height (i.e. 6" 1') than one (186 cm) ...

wow.... :lol:

How come we can't make something as simple as shot in this country? Irrespective of size? Its not rocket science.

How come we can't make plastic wads in this country? we used to

for plastic wads i'd say it down to economy of scale ... not enough market base in UK to justify setting up a production chain.

You would firstly need engineers to develop and design a wad that is not in the market -or patented yet- or replicate some whose patent has expired (but then again, why has it expired?? wasn't it good enough??); then this needs to perform to a certain standard and be as cheap as the rest; then you add machinery or outsourcing cost (which come with import duty), production costs and even export cost if you want to reach a scalable market.

All major manufacturere have first developped in their country of origin -or through production of their own ammo- before expanding; here your options are really restricted to Eley (as Hull/gamebore will use whatever is used in their American production) but as per above, their cost will increase to fund research ... and it's a lot easier to just buy tons of ready made wads, ridiculously cheap from other producers.

This is something I have always had a bee in my bonnet about. Buy a tin of beans and its got loads of info on contents,calorific value and so on. Buy a box of cartridges and you get a shot size which may or may not be correct for this country and a load size and in most cases thats about it. And this is a product that if you get it wrong, may blow up in your face! As for shot sizes , if you buy Winchester you get a American cartridge, that can be made in Italy for the English market- so what is the real size of the pellet ? take your pick! Time we got proper labeling on load size, pellet size , speed and balistics results.

Edited by anser2

Well gamebore have a nice video on their website showing them manufacturing their own plastic wads at their factory in the uk so they obviously think it make commercial sence to do so.

Well, then, i stand corrected! :good:

yet not selling to the retail market .... obviously think it doesn't make commercial sense to do so ....

Well, then, i stand corrected! :good:

yet not selling to the retail market .... obviously think it doesn't make commercial sense to do so ....

No makes a lot more commercial sense to have a portfolio of unique selling points, like their diamond shot to differentiate their cartridges from the rest which are just an assembly of parts made by a few big players so you end up with many copies of the same cartridge but sold by many under a different brand/name.

So if you think diamond shot gives you that edge, then it must be gamebore.

Unique selling points, are commercially of great value these days.

Agree!

But were discussing about UK manufactured plastic wads if i recall and why it is not viable to sell to reloading market.

What you said above, although in reference to shots, essentially agrees with what i said: there is no sense in making and selling any component to the retail market as it could be their (only) unique selling point....

what you are then describing (many manufacturer producing the same shall under different names) is essentially the base of a free economy where the same thing is produced and sold by many who compete on price and quality to provide the end user with an affordable qualiy item. Look at electricity: sold to you by many provider whom compete on prices ... yet, it all come from the same source! :good:

So, in my view i rather 4 manufacturer competing to bring me a cheap 28gr pigeon (mass market) shell than each trying to sell me their own version at a premium... :yes:

Edited by Continental Shooter