Whats your money on?

harrycatcat1

A bloke I know said he was having a problem with rats at his house. In fact he sent me a video of his bulldog looking through the glass door at the rat running around.

What I have done is set a live catch trap baited with Nutella chocolate stuff near to the back door and a fen trap baited with peanut butter inside his shed. I set these traps Thursday night but there was nothing today.

He has gone away for a few days so the bulldog is not around.

Which one do you think will come good first?

I will let you know tomorrow if I find anything.

H

Well I think these rats are taking the urine out of me.

I went this morning and found the one in the live trap, The fen had half of the peanut butter licked off the "plate",

I went back at lunch time and they had licked ALL the peanut butter off the fen "plate". :unhappy: so I melted some nutella onto the fen "plate" and rebaited the cage with nutella again.

Went back at 6pm ish and roger me they had licked all the nutella off the fen "plate" and not set it off so I have taken it away as its clearly not working.I have had rats in the fen before when I had chickens.

See what the morning brings :good:

H

Just an update there was nothing in the live trap outside this morning so I moved it into the shed.

Went back at lunch time and the trap had been set off but nothing inside so I assume the rats have been crawling over the top and set it off and the door has closed.

If I dont get better results soon I look like getting the old BSA .22 out :good:

Just thinking, I have had that air rifle 49 years :yes:

H

Harrycat,

You could try keeping the top of the plate clean(ish) and smearing the bait on the underside - makes them jump about a bit on the top.....then WHACKEROO

Good idea thanks :good:

I've had slugs take all the butter off traps without setting them off, don't normally see rats and mice in the same place.

Thanks, funny enough there are snails in the shed :hmm:

Yep slugs/snails will clear the bait without setting a fenn off........try a plastic break back mouse trap baited with peanut butter to see if it is mice!

I get slugs clearing these in the garage as well, good for cleaning them though.

If you've got rats attach them to something or they'll wander off

Edited by Mice!

mix equal parts of baking soda / flour / sugar together, then put about a teaspoon or two into small food bags then bait up and it does not harm other animals has worked better than shop bought poison for me

Is this for the rats?? I'm being genuine not taking the mickey

I've got a few days in the garden. I've caught a few in the fenn traps but every time I think I've got their route sorted they find another way to go and avoid the traps. One thought he'd had a reprieve this morning when he was caught by the base of the tail...unfortunately for him the terrier removed his head before he had chance to wriggle free.