16 Bore Steel Cartridges - Does anyone make them ?

Having recently sold a 12 bore and 20 bore, both suitable for steel shot, I am now left with the following dilemma.

There is a field of peas nearby with pigeon numbers gradually building up from none at drilling to reasonable numbers now. The owner insists on only steel shot being used.

My remaining side by sides being 16 bore are unsuitable for steel shot. My old Woodward is being reserved for much more gentle loads. Bismuth will be used for my very occasional duck shooting in season, so the cost of Bismuth is not an issue for the aforementioned guns on ducks.

The only other alternative at present is a multi-choked 16 bore Lincoln O/U but is there any cartridge manufacturer out there making steel loads for 16 bores ?

I have seen on an auction website some Remington 16s in steel but these appear to be a discontinued range.

Is there anyone who could possible advise on this. I could of course pick up a cheapy 12 from Wabbitbosher, but am really trying to cut down on my guns.

Many thanks for any replies.

OB

I don't think anyone makes a factory steel load. Maybe French or American makers do. I'd contact your local shop and ask if Remington do any. Or one good call is John Forsey guns, Kent. He does a lot of steel and can post also. He would probably know

The Remington steels that Southams have listed, I am tempted to have a bid on them myself!

I have about 100 gamebore 26gram shot size 4 16g Super Steel loads, I reckon these are at least 15 years old mind you.

I am sure that John Forsey have listed 16g Express steel loads in the past too, would be interested to know what other (if any) 16g non toxic loads they stock.

You can get lucky with 16g now and again, got 125 alphamax and 125 tungsten a few years back along with 400 lead cartridges for £100 (did have to drive to Manchester to collect them though :lol::lol:

The cartridges listed in the southams auction this Thursday say tungsten and I believe that they were in the last auction so they must have been unsold last time. I may be going to have a look on Wednesday (just in case I tell the boss). If you want me to have look and report back I will. Can not promise that I will be going but there is a couple of items I want to see

Here in belgium there is gamebore,rotweill ,mary- arm and mirage clever in 16 Oh and layvale express to

Yes, Belgium have them from Lyalvale! I know because I developed the Edit: 26 gram steel load using CSB0 propellant. I loaded 37 500 of them while they waited for a machine.

Edited by Floating Chamber

Guest topshot_2k

Why does he only want steel shot used? surely lead would be better than leaving the palce littered with thick plastic wads from steel cartridges

The cartridges listed in the southams auction this Thursday say tungsten and I believe that they were in the last auction so they must have been unsold last time. I may be going to have a look on Wednesday (just in case I tell the boss). If you want me to have look and report back I will. Can not promise that I will be going but there is a couple of items I want to see

Did you get down to look at these stimmo? Were they steel or tungsten?

I forgot that the auction was on today. You are right in saying that these were listed in the last sale also.

I can pick you some up in Denmark next week if you wish? Meet me for collection Harwich or down to London.

When are you off to Denmark dodeer? I am near 15 miles from Harwich so could easily collect.

Did you get down to look at these stimmo? Were they steel or tungsten?

I forgot that the auction was on today. You are right in saying that these were listed in the last sale also.

When are you off to Denmark dodeer? I am near 15 miles from Harwich so could easily collect.

Sunday- Tuesday.

I am driving stupidly via tunnel

Why does he only want steel shot used? surely lead would be better than leaving the palce littered with thick plastic wads from steel cartridges

I totally agree that littering the place with plastic wads is hardly very green, but my farmer insists on me using steel shot over his field of peas, so I have no option if I am to take advantage of the situation.

OB

a good time to start reloading your own shells john at Folkston engineering can supply you with components and lee loadall press then you can tailor your loads to what you want and its a nice pastime as well if you cannot buy it make it

It sounds an interesting idea. I used to reload my own 12 bore cartridges in the 60s using hand roll turnover, re & decapping tools, but I understand that it is more complicated these days obtaining powder and shot etc.

As my requirement for steel shot is fairly modest, I don`t think that the initial outlay of modern reloading tools can be justified, so I`ll just used Bismuth for my occasional duck shooting and perhaps forego the chance of shooting my farmers pigeons using steel.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions.

I am however awaiting a reply from John Forsey in Welling as it has been suggested that he may possibly be a source of 16 bore steel.

OB

Thanks, dodeer, I`ll try John Forsey as he`s not too far away to collect. Never thought of him as he does lots of wildfowling loads, so you never know.

Thanks,

OB

I have received a very positive response from John Forsey, so I will be going in there this week to get sorted with some 16 bore Steel.

I missed his return message yesterday so will have to wait until tomorrow to find out what he stocks.

Thanks again for the heads up on this.

OB

You don't need expensive equipment to load shells, buy new primed cases ,set of scales for powder and shot,roll turn over tool for a piller drill and you are set to go, I RTO all my 16g shells, you will load 16 g much cheaper than factory shells, Jim.

Hi Jim,

It's a possible thought for the future so thanks for the information.

I did get much pleasure years ago loading my own with rolled turnover machine etc.

Funnily enough and possibly a topic for a separate post, everyone (those old enough anyway) remembers where they were when Kennedy was assassinated, well I was up in my attic room busily loading cartridges for the following day and heard the news on my 'Dansette' radio.

Anyone old enough out shooting that particular day ?

OB