Some advice on waterproofing a jacket please.

das

I have a rather nice budget jacket, not claimed as waterproof, but fits well, seems well made, all the right pockets and a good zip wth storm flap and storm cuffs.

Any suggestions as to how I can make it reasonably waterproof or perhaps, even showerproof (obviously I don't expect Gore-Tex standard).

Tried Fabsil but it soon wears off.

Is there such a thing as spray wax?

Jacket is 100% polyester with 100% cotton lining.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Its going to be difficult, most nikwax type products sit on the surface or soak into the fabric and will wear off with friction after a short time. Wash in is best if not then spray ones are ok but they need time to soak in and mulit applications with it not running off is best.

There is the fjallraven wax block but dont know how well it will work on polyester as it melts at a fairly low temp!

I've tried some of those wash in things and thought they were useless and that was on a once waterproof jacket.

U'll probably struggle to be honest.

Might be better fiding a light wieght breathablevwater proof under jacket or wear a base layer/fleece combo below.

I know i've worn a lot of base layer stuff and u never feel the cold and wet the way u would normally even when ur top layer is soaked throu