First go on the spring rape

Wilksy II

Been very hopeful since I found out I would have spring rape to shoot over, well this afternoon I got time to go, I'd seen a good 70/80 on it yesterday teatime but scattered evenly over it, with no obvious features to set a hide up against other than the winter rape next to it, the light westerly on my back with rotary to my right and 20 shells scattered out front and a rope banger at tother end I settled in.

The rape is about 6" high and mixed with weeds so it's like a green blanket which made finding birds tricky.

I connnected with the first two pairs which set me up for a good afternoon that said I couldn't find one of them, but the pigeons came steady all afternoon with the rope banger sending me birds over that had settled at yon side, shot from 1 till 5:30 and downed 34 unfortunately only picking 29 but really enjoyed it, they all decoyed really well and the magnet definatly played its part.

hopefully there will be more sport to come from that field and if the weeds are knocked back finding birds will be easier.

That must have been a good afternoons shooting well done you.

Cheers E.w it was enough for me,wouldn't know what to do with much bigger bags!

Good result. You need a dog.

cheers Motty! Does a border terrier that likes licking pigeons count? Edited by Wilksy II

Good, but make the most of that field as the crop will be too high for pigeons in about three weeks time.

Cheers Jdog, it is growing fast, there is a bald patch where the drill hasn't touched that will be hard to shoot but will attract pigeons!

A good report and a very respectable bag there mr Wilks.

Shame you had to pack up at 5.30 still a good few hours sport to be had, that said you might well get a few more sessions this coming week.

well shot :good:

Cheers mate! To be honest I'd have stayed longer but it dried up, the beggars were dropping in some poor winter rape behind me and a horse paddock off to my left, I'm hoping I'll get another go soon but If I shot 30 odd then I've educated another 30!