Barley

Ultrastu

Thanks motty .

I have tried this morning early doors

There just isnt many birds flying in the fields at the mo .thing is i must have drove past 50 pige on wires and in gardens just getting out of my town .but they seem absent over the crop fields

.i did have one decoy beautifuly which fell right into my pattern .

Oh and a bonus magpie on the walk back to the van .

So not a total loss .

Think i will try again at the end of june

You shouldn't just 'try again at the end of june'.....you need to keep an eye on the fields, maybe weekly to see if and when they start hitting it, and then decide when they've built up enough for a decent session. It's odd as pigeons can sometimes appear (and disappear) almost overnight, it's easy to miss out!

Gona try and get a few pigeons over some barley that is just starting to go milky.

Tomorrow .

All the other fields i shoot are either mature rape or wheat .

Does anyone think its worth it ? Or am i too early .

Did you see pigeons going into the barley in some numbers? It would be pointless going if not.

It was pointless today .

But a had a shooting pass and the dog needed a run .

And the one bird that i did shoot .was text book .so that was nice .

Also its the first time the barley has been in that particular field .so it was as much a reccy shoot, to find the best place for a hide etc

Looks to me as though pigeons could get on that at any time now, Keep watching it.

If those power lines run over the barley field pigeons will gather on those and give you an indication of when they have found it.

Good luck.

Certainly looks a good bet in 2 to 3 time , I would leave it for the time being and wait till the pigeons show more interest in the field and with you not knowing its been barley before it will give you time to weigh up the flight lines and what would be the best wind direction to shoot it.

With heavy rain and strong winds forecast tomorrow in a lot of places, I don't think it will to long before the first posts of shooting over laid barley will be coming in and then we will know Summer is well under way. GOOD LUCK everyone.

Thanks guys thats great .

The farmer rotates hia fields generally between barley .rape .wheat .beans and maise .each field getting last years crop ( crop rotation i learnt about it in school )

So last year this field had rape in it and i missed the cut as i was on holiday

Thanks guys thats great .

The farmer rotates hia fields generally between barley .rape .wheat .beans and maise .each field getting last years crop ( crop rotation i learnt about it in school )

So last year this field had rape in it and i missed the cut as i was on holiday

I see you're Bristol based, Roughly, in what area is your shoot? No, not after it, only I've some permissions north of Bristol, A38 corridor area, and other than the odd bird our feathered friends are nowhere to be seen.

• 3 weeks later...

Took .39 pige from that same barley field last night .

Using my 20b mossy hushpower with red dot and 32 grm no6 nsi carts .

I hit shot cracking birds crossing or just shying away from the magnet at the last min .

Very pleased with my set up .every bird that decoyed into the pattern fell beautifully gabe me a big smile and a lot of confidence .

I guess all those jinky winter rape pigeons hone the skills for summer .

Yep, they are cruising in on the barley alright. Had a couple hours last saturday and hoping to get another couple wednesday morning. I got to my little perm around 5.30 and the farmer was out collecting hay already and there must have been a hundred birds on a patch in the barley about 50 yards out. The barley looks very green still, but obviously it is attractive to pigeons. I set up with magnet and a few shells on sticks but ended up moving 3 more times, each with no kit, until I found the best flight line in, by which time it had slowed down and I had to leave for work. I was shooting poorly (nothing new there) but these days if I'm into double figures I'm happy. Hoping to go straight to said position on weds, an old piece of tree trunk at the corner of a hedge with about 250 degree vision.