Decoying crows

Afternoon all, after some advice on decoying crows. Yesterday had a bit of success, put some dead crows out about 30 yards from where I was sat. Had 4 out in a square of about 1.5yards by 1.5yards. Now whilst this was drawing them in I can only feel there are more effective ways of doing it to bring more in judging by there reactions. Should be making a bigger pattern? Or have the birds closer together? I ended up with 17 I think for 25 shots using a full choked Webley and Scott single barrel that didn't fit so I thought I did quite well :lol: pointers? Thanks

Afternoon all, after some advice on decoying crows. Yesterday had a bit of success, put some dead crows out about 30 yards from where I was sat. Had 4 out in a square of about 1.5yards by 1.5yards. Now whilst this was drawing them in I can only feel there are more effective ways of doing it to bring more in judging by there reactions. Should be making a bigger pattern? Or have the birds closer together? I ended up with 17 I think for 25 shots using a full choked Webley and Scott single barrel that didn't fit so I thought I did quite well :lol: pointers? Thanks

I should be happy with that result, well done :good: :good:

edited to say if I had got that amount I would have gone home happy as Larry :good:

Edited by harrycatcat1

You don't mention how long you were shooting, but it doesn't seem as though you were doing much wrong with that result.

I usually have 4-6ft between my crow decoys and find dead birds work the best, I always have 12 in my freezer for decoys.

Sat around decoying probably a couple of hours? Walked around for maybe an hour though so 3 hours total

hello, still good shooting but i would try the deeks a bit further out for a full choke single, a crow call might help to,

Forgot about calls, Thanks! Reason they were close is because I don't shoot shotguns, plain and simple. Punching paper at 500 with a rifle I'm quite happy but shotguns are a completely different ball game :lol:

That's a good result if they are about in numbers you would have shot a lot more you did well.

Could have shot more but tried restricting myself to around 40 yards to ensure if I clipped it I'd kill it

I should be happy with that result, well done :good: :good:

edited to say if I had got that amount I would have gone home happy as Larry :good:

Thanks, I was happy but wondered if there's a way I can draw more in. There in massive numbers and I was drawing the odd few in with the majority carrying on

A flapper :good::yes:

Not got money for that! :lol: on a budget :)

I would be very happy with that bag of corvids, especially using a single, I usually place several full bodied decoys out between 30/35 metres, recently purchased a dozen FUD crow decoys, I put these out has well, I'me not sure if the crows are fooled by these, but they go out anyway, usually positioned around a furry squirrel like toy, £1.95 from the local B&M store. Good concealment is a must, you can't overdo it, Has for crow calls, never had much success. but you can bet, if you pour yourself a drink, or go for a pee, some thing will come over, at that very moment.

What do you shout...wye ayee crows :lol::lol::lol:

I do agree with Mark though, I find the primos power crow caller works well once you figure out how to use it.

As above. I have used the caller for the past 10-12 years and have had great success with it. But it does take practice to use it correctly. I've called in Crows, Rooks, Jackdaws and even a Seagull. (just to prove I could do it) In my opinion, it's the best on the market. There are other's that are very good (Sam Neyt) for one, but that is a dedicated Crow calling one.

As above. I have used the caller for the past 10-12 years and have had great success with it. But it does take practice to use it correctly. I've called in Crows, Rooks, Jackdaws and even a Seagull. (just to prove I could do it) In my opinion, it's the best on the market. There are other's that are very good (Sam Neyt) for one, but that is a dedicated Crow calling one.

Another one for the primos crow caller , after a fair bit of practice..

Shot a crow once and it landed in a tree hanging by its wing best decoy ever shot 13 in 30 mins before it fell out, don't go climbing trees for obvious reasons,

Concealments key in crow shooting in my eyes