B725 Stock crack issues

spot.ontheroad

Does anyone have experience of cracking Browning shotgun stocks? I have what looks like the start of a crack at the rear of the trigger guard. My gun is 4 yrs old (and so is out of guarantee for wood issues), has had a pampered existence and seen limited use. It is therefore maddening to find a crack in the stock. People at my shoot who know more than I, suggest it is from the stock being too tightly fitted to the metalwork. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it common? If so, how have people fared with Browning and what might be a good approach to take? To say I'm mighty pi**ed off is an understatement. Any guidance/advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Over the years I have experienced a lot of problems with cracks in browning stocks, In 1995 I purchased a B125 'C' grade and after six months I had the stock replaced on guarantee due to cracking, over the next 19 years I again had the stock replaced twice at my cost due to cracking, Eventually i p/x'd the gun two years ago with another crack in the stock. I part exchanged it for a brand new B525 and after owning the gun for two weeks it was returned to the shop due to a crack appearing in the stock - the stock was replaced on guarantee and returned to me within a week.

I have also experienced stock cracking in a B325 also a B425 that I've also owned.

Edited by browning123

Out of interest and having absolutely no experience whatsoever of such things, would this be due to unseasoned wood being used ?

If so, the wood could try to return or bend somehow and so put strain on the tang or top strap, causing the cracking.

Just a thought, but would be interested to know why, if this is a Browning trait.

OB

Out of interest and having absolutely no experience whatsoever of such things, would this be due to unseasoned wood being used ?

If so, the wood could try to return or bend somehow and so put strain on the tang or top strap, causing the cracking.

Unlikely. Stocks have to be headed up to the action such that, as far as possible, the pressure is equally spread among all the wood to metal contact points. If say, the contact is tighter at the end of the tang, as in figgy's post above, the pressure is excessive right at the weakest part of the stock.

The common practice of over-tightening the stock bolt can over-stress the stock too, especially if the heading up is less than good. For the record, it's not necessary to tighten the stock bolt as if it's a wheel nut on a jumbo jet. I always check this when I acquire a gun and even on brand new Berettas I've had massively over-tightened stocks.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I've had the gun from new and haven't touched anything on it so if it is too tightly fixed it was done so by Browning. I bought it at the Game Fair from a dealer a long way from where I live. I have no beef with the dealer, they are just a long way from me. Can one approach any Browning dealer? But if so, is it worth it given that I'm outside the 3 year wood warranty? Am I better just approaching a reputable nearby gunsmith and seeking their opinion/getting them to fix it before it grows? Cheers

I would try the dealer first as you expect a shotgun of that price to last more than three years of ocational use. It's not like your a pro putting tens of thousands of rounds a year through it.

Who is the dealer ? someone on here will no doubt be local to them. If you get no joy try Browning uk yourself.

Edited by figgy

Good luck with browning. Chances of them.fixing that are slim to nothing.

Contact the dealer first if I was you.

I recently brought a new gun from mid Wales gun. Which is a 3 1/2 trip each way. When I spoke to them and said about any issues that might happen. On the of chance there might be. They said they would rfd it if they had to.

So worth a phone call first