The drug dealers choice

Davyo

Wife bought a new Ford in Nov 2015,paid 17k.Got 7k off her old Ford and I threw 10k in off a pension I cashed in.Car is now only 18mth old and has a trade in value of only £9500.Plan was to let me have this in November and she gets the new ST (on order) in November.I was going to pay cash out of a couple small pensions that are only worth taking as lump sums.These were going to be our final cars as i will be fully retired and she will shortly follow.Seriously considering her keeping her current car and I'll keep my C3 Picasso.Her car on order is 24k but what's that going to be worth in 18mths? 11-12k.Could have a few nice holidays with the loss in deprecation.

I am completely in agreement with you. Why buy a new car when the one you have is still running fine? you wouldn't do that with a washing machine and the principal is broadly the same.

This myth that cars suddenly self destruct at three years old costs us dearly. Keep it and you get the next three years virtually free

Edited by Vince Green

Around our way the drug dealer has a new supercar each month,an R8 then a Mercedes SLS then a Ferrari etc etc and I'm not messing about. It's blatant and shocking as the plod knows what's going on!.

I work on cars all week and find they are the worst investment you can make unless they are old gold or 10 + year old cars that you can break for parts and panels.

Very few cars are investments. But some people like a new car every 3 years and are happy to pay the premium for that.

They are more than just a means of transport to some people.

A lot of negative is said about pcp such as you have to pay a lump sum at the end of the term then you don't own the car.

Well if you've only paid 15-20k over 3 years for a 40k car of course there is going to be a lump sum.

People buy new because they can, because PCP makes it possible,people trade 3 year olds for new for the same reason, I buy outright the prereg 6mth olds and swap at the end of the warranty, I have found at the mileage we do this to be a good balance between purchase costs and maintenance.

I'm car shopping and considering my options leasing is looking very attractive (PCH) might look at PCP but the idea of buying a new car for £30k for it to be worth £10k in 3 years isn't appealing at all

That's just throwing £20k away I'm happier throwing £400 a month away, I have that, I don't have £30k lying around....,.

This is what people don't quite get with pcp type deals or lease, just because you pay cash doesn't mean the car won't depreciate. If you write down the deals on paper the figures look pretty damn identical except you don't have to lump up the whole amount upfront with pcp, the reason monthly deals are cheaper compared to say if you spread payments on a loan is that lease companies negotiate fantastic discounts because they bulk buy.

Take the longer view buy a car with the intention of keeping it for ten years. Its total madness to hand a perfectly good car back after three years. Buy or lease its still you that's paying for the depreciation one way or the other. My work van is running like new at nine years old, I seriously reckon its good for another nine easily.

Three year old cars are going to need tyres/MOT/discs and pads, they will have lost their tautness and the inside will have started to sag, the outside will defo be showing a few scars and the model will be identifiably old shape, they will also soon be due for their first major service which on tasty cars can be as much £700+, at four or five years old they'll start needing cambelts/batteries even exhaust possibly and may well start to need the odd bit of extra expense with bits going wrong. The experience of driving a brand new car every three years is incomparable to driving one for 9 years, you are saving money because you are driving an old car not because you've spotted a clever way of saving money like for like.

You wouldn't say no to a new sofa every five years why pretend the one you use for 20 years gives the same life experience.

Edited by Hamster

Depends on the car you buy. Look at how many Mercs are used as limos by airlines or other business for first class passenger pickups etc, they will rack up over a hundred k in no time and are still a very nice car to drive or sit in. Modern cars are designed to cover many more miles that cars of years ago. Even if it cost you a grand a year for parts and servicing it's still cheaper than leasing or buying new every few years.

Yes it is cheaper. On a car used for ferrying people around even the rear seats will be sagged and the interior will show signs of use, the boot will have battle marks too. I sell cars for a living and as a rule the higher the mileage the more hideous the car, I've been inside 100k Cayenne's which felt their age/miles.

Admittedly some wear the miles better so there is a difference between an 8 year old Rav or HRV and say a Santa Fe or a 6 year old Jazz and a 6 year old Corsa but an old car looks like an old car and drives like one. No offence just is and that is reason for the price differentials.

Three year old cars are going to need tyres/MOT/discs and pads, they will have lost their tautness and the inside will have started to sag, the outside will defo be showing a few scars and the model will be identifiably old shape, they will also soon be due for their first major service which on tasty cars can be as much £700+, at four or five years old they'll start needing cambelts/batteries even exhaust possibly and may well start to need the odd bit of extra expense with bits going wrong. The experience of driving a brand new car every three years is incomparable to driving one for 9 years, you are saving money because you are driving an old car not because you've spotted a clever way of saving money like for like.

You wouldn't say no to a new sofa every five years why pretend the one you use for 20 years gives the same life experience.

My work van is nine years old, apart from its regular annual service which is around £2-300 it has had one set of tyres one set of pads and discs, probably due another but that's not expensive. I get it serviced in South Wales and its literally half the price it is in London.

Its never had a new battery or exhaust and the cambelt is due next year at ten years old. The company bought it new on HP and it was a third down and £35 a week over five years. That's hardly high maintenance. Its not the latest shape but its a van, I'll get over it. Are you seriously suggesting I should anyone would buy a new van because its a different shape

My current personal drive is a Mercedes SL55 AMG I bought it for 14% of its price new with 60,000 on the clock. You drive it and tell me it feels old or tired, its like brand new.

Edited by Vince Green

My work van is nine years old, apart from its regular annual service which is around £2-300 it has had one set of tyres one set of pads and discs, probably due another but that's not expensive. I get it serviced in South Wales and its literally half the price it is in London.

Its never had a new battery or exhaust and the cambelt is due next year at ten years old. The company bought it new on HP and it was a third down and £35 a week over five years. That's hardly high maintenance. Its not the latest shape but its a van, I'll get over it. Are you seriously suggesting I should anyone would buy a new van because its a different shape

My current personal drive is a Mercedes SL55 AMG I bought it for 14% of its price new with 60,000 on the clock. You drive it and tell me it feels old or tired, its like brand new.

Of course not, I'm just saying there is a world of difference between what a 9 year old car/van looks and feels like to drive than a new one so comparisons made on money are a little naive.

Because of my work I have sat in and driven hundreds of brand new car, there is no way once any car has done about 30k you can describe them as feeling like new, not saying new is always faultless but by and large they smell ten times fresher, drive almost silently in terms of rattles, creaks and engine noise, the latter loses its sharpness as the miles pile on and they lose their taut feeling. I would love a 5 year old Amorak but it won't feel, drive or smell like new.

Almost any van (over 2-3 years old) we get through as px is horrible, 9 year old ones are invariably disgusting inside and out (yours is the exception I admit) the reason we can't buy them fast enough is not because people can't detect or notice the difference between a new one for £15k or £4k, it's because one is cheaper.

Edited by Hamster

• 2 weeks later...

Is Mercs the new wheels of choice for drug dealers?Noticed that the thick set,tattooed,angry looking types seem to be driving them a lot lately.What happens to BMW and the Range rover?

First of all in this PC world of ours they now insist on being referred to as Pharmaceutical Distributers.

White is the new black when it comes to vehicle colour and 20" blingy wheels are essential.