pigeon hides

highlander, your probably just jealous. i havent claimed to owning them, they are just the shotguns and firearms in my houshold of which i use along with the rest of my family. i do a lot of pigeon shooting and have 1 problem. i hasten to add that i doubt that you are perfect at it so wat is wrong with trying to find out how others do these things. i wasnt complaining and if you call that bein a spoiled brat, well i would hate to see a real spoilt brat, because im not. its just some people are stuck up their own *****, no names, and like i say ,jealous. thanks for all those that did help me, much appreciated.

Just cant understand how you do allot of pigeon shooting and dont know how to buld a hide and dont know WAT to do, dont try to make out things just listen to people and u will learn. :D:lol::lol: :thumbs: :good:

Nice to see the resident know-it-alls pop in and rather than help another person out, they would rather rip the preverbial as they seem to think that makes them much superior to the rest of the mere mortals on here. I for one am thankful of your presence even though you've done absolutely **** all to help. :good:

I for one believe that there is no such thing as a stupid question if you dont know the answer, and then there can be lots of stupid anwers(which has been proven here). I didn't walk out of my mother's chuffa either... I had to learn to walk :thumbs:

Back to the original subject. One of the best hides i use is an umbrella hide i brought online. It looks and folds like an umbrella but when it is open it forms a hide it is in real tree with two zipp down windows, it is a bit tight sitting behind it but i have had more kills from behind this than anything else and is alot quicker to open than build a hide, plus if you want to change possition it is so quick :thumbs: And if it rains you just hold it over your head :good:

BE flexible,adaptable,chop & change, experiment.

I have sat behind the dog's danglies of a hide, and behind my shotgun case and a few nettles and shot lots of birds on both occasions.

There is NOT one way to build a hide. Varying places need varying hides.

The skill is to keep still and waitttttt.

Dave K

To be honest it isn't a stupid question, everyone has to learn how to do it at some stage,

pre made hides can cost up to £200 to buy maybe even more but if you have the money to invest that might be the way to go.

if you want to make your own buy the camo netting, i think its about £25 for 56 inch x 12''

they charge a fortune for the poles ( up to £65!)

if you live in a country area (and are handy with the old bowie knife) you could make your own in about 10 mins

make sure you add a top to your hide aswell then your all set!

if the costs involved seem a bit too much then consider some camo gear. if you sit still for long enough you can bag a lot of birds on a good day

regards

Tom

in my opinion camo gear is good stuff. ex-army type. a lot of people would advise against it cos when it rains it gets heavy, and at the end of the day when you roll it up, you usually collect half the field in it. however, it is cheap and very effective, been using mine for years and its done me well. another tip on hide building is to chuck some branches up against the outside, use them to prop up the areas that might sag and they will break up the line of the hide. experiment a bit, but its nothing too difficult to do. like the boys said, main thing to worry about is movement, keep still til you raise the gun. all the best, :good:

BM.

Hi Ultimate,

You pick whatever name you like mate. I just read this thread through and you've had the benefit of some real experts on here.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. One of the most knowledgable outdoorsmen I know is full of 'newbie' questions. He often quotes "The only stupid question is the one you were afraid to ask"

As for building a hide, it's just practice at concealment. The basics of concealment are being a similar colour to what's around you and not having a defined, sharp outline and KEEP STILL. Leave your gun at home.

Go to somewhere you know there'll be pigeons(corn field?). Build a hide you think will work. See how much activity you get. If you don't get much then change ONE characteristic of your hide such as adding local foliage or breaking up your outline more and see if that works. Carry on experimenting with different set ups until something works.

All the time you should try to...

Not give the hide a definite outline with straight or curved lines

Make the hide the same basic colour as the area you're in

If you ever have a bad day have a good look at the hide from the pigeon's viewpoint to see what went wrong.

Yes, I am a newbie to sport shooting. No, I'm not a newbie to the outdoors. Yes, lots of people on here know more than I do.

N

hi ultimate and others

i have been a static shooter for some time and am good at it laying there in wait not moving when it comes to shotguns i am useless as i aim for the moving target have had some lessons done some (well lots ) of clays take everyones advice whether they take the mick i have had it taken out of me a few times if i had that amount of guns when i was 15 i would be bloody good as for hides as they all say keep trying different ways out i have and am now hitting half the birds

the advice is sit still wait then bang anyway gonna shut up now good shooting have fun and enjoy the great sport of all types of shooting

I have just purchased my first hide but dont have any sticks with it i have been thinking about using gardening canes? if not any suggestions?

Also i have been considering about where to put it, theres a cow bean field which we visit quite alot with a normal flight line straight over the middle. would you recomend setting up in the middle of the field or on the tree/hedge line where pigeons normally sit?

get some canes but not the thin ones. my own suggestion with the field is sit on the edge but it also depends how far the middle of the field is from where you are on the edge. is it a squareish field or does it have a dog leg or jutt out anywhere. if it jutts out put your hide there with trees etc behind you only my ideas more experienced shot gun users on this site someone will come up with an answer. as one of them said on this thread experiment try things out

all the best and good shooting.

oh i went out last nite stood by some trees with jeans and a blue tshirt on and bagged 4 birds in an hour

again all the best and good shooting

get some canes but not the thin ones. my own suggestion with the field is sit on the edge but it also depends how far the middle of the field is from where you are on the edge. is it a squareish field or does it have a dog leg or jutt out anywhere. if it jutts out put your hide there with trees etc behind you only my ideas more experienced shot gun users on this site someone will come up with an answer. as one of them said on this thread experiment try things out

oh i went out last nite stood by some trees with jeans and a blue tshirt on and bagged 4 birds in an hour

HO NO ANOTHER CASUAL SHOOTER LOL ;):no: :o

HO NO ANOTHER CASUAL SHOOTER LOL :good::good::D

theres no trainners tho

hutchie the white rabbit and p@**take 500

dont quite understand why you are on this forum all you do is take the mick you may be the best hunters/shooters in the world (or in your cases your worlds) but some of us dom wish to find out the secrets for good shooting not just to take the mick. if you have no valuable info to input to this forum then dont say anything. We are all not retired have vast amounts of money to be able to go and do something we enjoy. so could you please keep your sarcatic comments to yourselves

sorry about taken the mick out of your names but cant see you face to face to be able so say anything else

I must admit, I'm relatively new to decoying so there's not a lot I can tell you - EXCEPT; get archie coats's "pigeon shooting out at the libary, I had to pre book it for 25p but none the less it's full of information, especially about hides.

A lot of my pigeon shooting involves wandering round and just blatting them as they fly over - this way the rabbits get it at the same time, hence the name fieldwanderer :D I do sometimes feel the need to stop and hide (for example when I can see pigeons on the way but know I'll be seen if I stay out in the open) and it's amazing what will hide you from a pigeon, just lately I've found as long as I'm wearing dpm, just crouching behind a couple of stinging nettles does the trick!

It also helps to wear a peaked cap to keep some of the light off your face (or better still some green/brown/cammo material around your face) I use an olive cap I got from asda for £3 and an old bit of cammo material so all that can be seen is my eyes (I take it off before I reach footpaths tho! lol). Also, don't watch pigeons coming in - i.e. don't turn to face them and keep your gun still/in the hide/hidden until the latest point at which you can get on to the bird. Pigeons know all about the flash of light off your barrell and your face, they'll nearly always ****** off at speed if you show them your face or the barell of your gun too soon. Once they're close enough - it's too late :) I'm sure others can comment better about how far, but 30yds is about what I aim for with a 1/2 or 3/4 choke and no6 shot (by the sounds of things however, that's more down to personal prefference though)

• 2 weeks later...
hutchie the white rabbit and p@**take 500

dont quite understand why you are on this forum all you do is take the mick you may be the best hunters/shooters in the world (or in your cases your worlds) but some of us dom wish to find out the secrets for good shooting not just to take the mick. if you have no valuable info to input to this forum then dont say anything. We are all not retired have vast amounts of money to be able to go and do something we enjoy. so could you please keep your sarcatic comments to yourselves

sorry about taken the mick out of your names but cant see you face to face to be able so say anything else

i right m8 am 22 and the problem is people like yourself who cant take a joke dont fancy sitting in a hide with you all doom and gloom chill out :lol: m8 and enjoy yourself :good: was only havn a laugh dont take it to heart i go out hunting in my shorts and t shirt all the time just kiddn :( :):lol:

hi again

sorry to get my back up earlier as i explained i am a static shooter have been for a long while and good at it (shold be have been trained) i dont mind sitting in or behind a hide but a lot of the farms like most of them have a lot of natural hides and i like to yomp and walk about so again sorry for all the S*$t but i tend to get my back up a bit sometimes

happy shooting and good luck

hippi

hi again

sorry to get my back up earlier as i explained i am a static shooter have been for a long while and good at it (shold be have been trained) i dont mind sitting in or behind a hide but a lot of the farms like most of them have a lot of natural hides and i like to yomp and walk about so again sorry for all the S*$t but i tend to get my back up a bit sometimes

hippi

NO WORRYS M8 BUT JUST DONT CALL ME AN OAP AGAIN LOL :):P

hi again

hippi

NO WORRYS M8 BUT JUST DONT CALL ME AN OAP AGAIN LOL :rolleyes::lol:

If he starts just hit him with your pension book :lol::P:lol:

hi again

hippi

NO WORRYS M8 BUT JUST DONT CALL ME AN OAP AGAIN LOL ;);)

If he starts just hit him with your pension book :):yes::lol:

ha ha good one m8 then my bus pass ;););)