Lest We Forget

TDS

On this morning 73 years ago thousands of young men died or were wounded on the beaches of Normandy

Many only teenagers.. i have grandchildren that age

I thank them and sorrow for them , for their sacrifice to keep us free

Bloody hell......................its the 6th of June.......and not a single mention of it on the news.................also believe the weather pattern today is very similar to that day,......

thanks for reminding us.............. :good::good:

I remember the TV coverage of the 50th anniversary in 1994, can't believe that was 23 years ago.

I went to Normandy a few times in the early 90s and found the people so friendly, many of the older generation would tell us all about where they were and what they saw on D-Day. I met Arlette Gondree at the cafe at Pegasus bridge, when we met she had a relative (daughter, niece perhaps) studying at Bristol university and that was where I lived at the time. She told me all about seeing a British soldier's head pop up at the window.

I suppose there aren't many Normandy veterans left now.

Sadly most of the veterans I used to meet there are no longer with us.

Thoughts last nite & early this morning were of OB Hill, Howard Mannion, Robert Murphy & all their 505PIR & 325GIR colleagues in the 82nd Abn....and the townsfolk of St Mere Eglise

And thoughts with my mate Alf.

His dad was a British para, killed June 10th....before Alf was born, so father & son never met.

A shame such sacrifices are ****** away by the current crop of politicians, not commemorated.

I was thinking the same a bout the weather last night said to my daughter that this weather was just like the 5 and 6 June 1944 she said to me how do you know you wasn't Evan born then I laughed , once visiting the d day beaches we was at pegus bridge having a coffe got talking to a veteran para it turned out to be the lance corporal who was the first para to enter the cafe then I told him that a very good faimly friend was in number 4 comandos who relived them we went and found his name on the group photos hanging in the cafe God bless them all

It was on the news ,we had a minutes silence at work and sky news showed the various ceremonies during the silence ,a reminder of when politicians stood up to mindless ideology with actions not words .Rip to the fallen and thank you to all who went

Warriors from the pinnacle of the British Empire, When manners and Humility were everyday Attire;

When hearts and souls took their place in the line to defend our freedom;

Now fading as a memory yet Immortalised by their Deeds we may never see their like again.

God Bless and give us the grace to remember them.

I've read countless books covering the subject. The men came from every walk of life from across every class and were walking into hell.

I have nothing but respect for each one, from the Lords to the labourers. I've often sat at tea break with guys the same age and wondered "Could we do it".

We will, but will the next lot?

My fiance's son and daughter just shrugged their shoulders when I mentioned the date and it's significance to them last night, in a 'what's it to do wif us' manner.

It is up to each generation to teach the next about our history, and why it matters

I would guess that most of us on here had Grandfathers, Fathers, Uncles or Brothers that served, watch all the films as kids and were taught at school.

My fiance's kids generation just don't want to be interested from my experience.

It is up to each generation to teach the next about our history, and why it matters

1st War sites are humbling and i imagine the cemetery at Omaha beach /St Mare Eglise and around Caen are equally as thought provoking .The rows of headstones with the ages so young just make you think how lucky our generation have been to not have to go through the hell of global war whilst worrying about family and loved ones back home.