What's in your fly box?

hedd-wyn

We all have our favourite bullets/cartridges that we wouldn't leave the house without.

So what about fishing flies? What are your favorites?

I very rarely fish stockies these days only river & streams.

So here are my top flies.

Brown trout

Griffiths Gnat

Black Gnat emerger

Coch y Bonddu

Greenwell Glory

Some kind of spider pattern

Brown shrimp

Hares ear nymph

Sea trout

Alexander

Pluen Eric Twm

Medicine

Teal Blue & Silver

Peter Ross

Butcher

Snake lure

Some kind of wake lure.

Always interested to hear what other fishermen carry in their boxes.

Heddwch

Which one of the 12 exactly, do you mean ?

6 x Dries.

1 x Nymphs, unweighted.

1 x Nymphs, weighted.

1 x Buzzers.

1 x Wets.

1 x Large wood 3 tier Boat assortment.

1 x CDC, Emergers, Suspenders (that should get you excited).

I usually make the decision on which to carry once at the water and my tactics for the day have been made !

Edited by Westley

Sewin (Sea Trout) Box

Dyfi Black n Orange from size 12 up to 3inches

Black Red n silver some with silver bodies some with black

Yellow Black n Silver sizes and colour as above

Squirrel n Blue small tubes and size 12-6 singles/doubles

Hairwing red mackerel size 10-6

Size 10-12 wee double orange n black shrimp thing which I tied for salmon...its never caught a salmon in Wales but its had several sewin up to 7lb!

Surface Lure

Plus a few traditional trout flies, Coch y Bonddu, Olive variants, and Hares ear nymph.

Tight Lines

Aled

One fly I would not be without on chalk streams or small brooks is the Leckford Professor. You would probably have to tie it yourself or get a friend to do it for you.

Tiemco 103 BL in 17s and 19s. They almost float on their own.

I also tie a variation. Same hooks, tie back to front. White fine silk thread whip from eye to just on the bend and tie in a dyed red grizzled cock hackle, that nice lady from Chevron Hackles in Devon who always has a big box of small dyed capes at the shows and sells some excellent ones for this job. Three turns of this and then tie in a nice sharp white hackle and three turns of that. Then tie in a piece of fine gold tinsel for the rib and dub some pale creamy grey snowshoe under fur from the foot and wind this on trying to taper it nicely to the eye, rib down with the tinsel and whip finish. On these very small hooks I always put a smear of U.V varnish on the silk before the final two or three turns to finish. I use half hitch and three of those with this varnish on never comes loose, but you finish as you normally would. I don't know if the UN makes any difference but I keep getting new orders for this particular fly so it sounds like it works and it worked for me.

Edited by Walker570

http://www.fish4flies.com/Dry/Hackled/Leckford-Professor

I was fortunate to do 4 weeks placement on the Leckford when at Sparsholt.

One fly I would not be without on chalk streams or small brooks is the Leckford Professor. You would probably have to tie it yourself or get a friend to do it for you.

I also tie a variation. Same hooks, tie back to front. White fine silk thread whip from eye to just on the bend and tie in a dyed red grizzled cock hackle, that nice lady from Chevron Hackles in Devon who always has a big box of small dyed capes at the shows and sells some excellent ones for this job. Three turns of this and then tie in a nice sharp white hackle and three turns of that. Then tie in a piece of fine gold tinsel for the rib and dub some pale creamy grey snowshoe under fur from the foot and wind this on trying to taper it nicely to the eye, rib down with the tinsel and whip finish. On these very small hooks I always put a smear of U.V varnish on the silk before the final two or three turns to finish. I use half hitch and three of those with this varnish on never comes loose, but you finish as you normally would. I don't know if the UN makes any difference but I keep getting new orders for this particular fly so it sounds like it works and it worked for me.

Edited by Penelope

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this

Amazon and Ebay have some from Troutflies

I fish stockies usually with a gold head olive fritz, dawsons olive or orange fritz.

If I'm not catching on those I tend to find I won't catch on anything but I've met a few people recently who swear by a 'jiggly', a rubber lure on a short leader. Apartently they are all the rage in Canada

I only fish stocked lakes so i never go with out 2 boxes.

1 box has a assortment of over 600 buzzers only and the other is a assortment of nymphs from montana hares ears pheasant tails and damson fly nymphs. But my go to is always the buzzers i very rarely use anything else