too bipod or not to bipod that is the question

ips

I use one on my gun when it suits conditions. If I'm prone shooting for rabbits, then they give a decent, stable position, assuming you're not on very extended legs. However, if the grass is too long, then you're not guaranteed to get into a good shooting position if prone. Then the bipod is just an inconvenience and a weight at the end of your stock. Also if you're thinking of multiple species, where youmight be shooting things out of trees, then you're forever getting out of position, shipping the legs back up(so they're not in the way of whatever you're resting on - if there is anything), taking the shot, then putting the legs back gown for anything on the ground.

If i'm on the range, or zeroing, then I always use the bipod.

A good set of shooting sticks helps to cover all bases, but the downside to them is forgetting them when you've put them down - which I've done on more than one occasion! Thinking about what you've said of your shooting, a bipod might well be worth it. They're at their best at a planned position where you know you've got good visibility and your quarry is always on the ground

Edited by chrisjpainter

Im not a big fan .i have many different air rifles but only have a bipod on one .and thats a veey small light weight one that can come off easily .unless your shooting long range rabbits i think they are just in the way and too heavy for every thing else

We are on a dairy farm, with many many cows, consequently I don't lie down anywhere.

I use what ever is to hand to steady for some standing shots but mainly use sticks to keep movement to the minimum.

Never bothered when I was shooting on the horse paddocks as that was all springer work and as we all know you don't want to be putting a bi-pod on a springer.

Thanks for replies. I am beginning to think there more trouble than there worth. I don't seem to be able to get into a good stable position (yes i am loading the bipod) even at different heights, back to the palm I think.

I had the same debate with myself recently. I take most shots from kneeling, standing, against trees etc. Once in a blue moon I can lay up in front of a warren but prone is perfectly stable without a bipod anyway; you can also use a bag as a rest if necessary.

Conclusion - only worth it for FAC ranges where max stability is essential.

My buddy always has a pod on his guns .every one .

But when we go out hunting together i never see him use it in a hunting shot ..the only time it gets deployed is on the range or target shooting at long range .

He also moans how heavy his guns are at the front and that he cant get a nice grip onbthe forend as the pods in the way .

But he some how belives they are great ?????

Ps yes i use the hamsters for hunting .perfect for rested shots off a knee or elevated shots gives much more hand hold positions and when prone actually works like a pod.

I must say that having spent quite a bit on a bi-pod, I very rarely use it. On the range, I use one of these :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RIFLE-PISTOL-SHOOTING-BENCH-REST-Air-Gun-Sighting-maintenance-cleaning-Allen-/232322963617?hash=item36178718a1:g:FGEAAOSwajVURQ9k

Out in the field, I have found the Primos Trigger Stick Tripod to be superb :-

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/primos-trigger-stick-gen-2-deluxe-tripod-tall-316957.html

I use it standing, sitting and even laying down in some cases, light and easy to carry.

Phil

Edited by philpotttt

I must say that having spent quite a bit on a bi-pod, I very rarely use it. On the range, I use one of these :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RIFLE-PISTOL-SHOOTING-BENCH-REST-Air-Gun-Sighting-maintenance-cleaning-Allen-/232322963617?hash=item36178718a1:g:FGEAAOSwajVURQ9k

Out in the field, I have found the Primos Trigger Stick Tripod to be superb :-

I use it standing, sitting and even laying down in some cases, light and easy to carry.

Phil

Er, you carry that into the field? lol

Much lighter than you might think and so many guys on other forums have also gone down this road with very good feed back. Carry it as a monopod, the legs drop in total silence at the touch of a button, use as monpod, bipod or tripod.

Just try one and you might just see why more and more guys are using them.

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...