Bye bye Human Rights?

Lloyd90

Well Theresa May has today announced she would be willing to 'scrap', re-write or whatever you want to call it the U.K. Human Rights Laws.

Already the other parties are slating her.

I think it's hard to criticise without seeing what she proposes as an alternative, especially following people criticising her for 'not doing enough' about terrorism.

On the topic of Human Rights can we keep in mind any Rights or stripping of rights applies to every single person in the country, we won't just be taking away the human rights of a select 3000 people.

HOPEFULLY!

They really do need to be reviewed.

I am very willing to lose my HUMAN RIGHTS if I decide to become a terrorist!

It's easy to skate May saying she's not done enough, then criticise her when she tries to change things that will help the situation (Corbyn seems to have made a career out of it!)

I agree we need to be careful with what we do, but a UK bill of rights that's done well could be a good thing IMO! Will need more info to know for sure.

When human rights legislation is used by the guilty to tie the hands of police and the courts there is clearly something wrong. We do have to make sure the pendulum doesn't swing the other way though.

There was the famous instance of a Council quoting anti terrorist legislation (right of entry) as their justification to go into people's gardens and inspect the contents of their recycling bins.

What ever she does Corbyn will be all over it, doing what he does best.

So will the Lib Damps

Edited by Vince Green

It's easy to skate May saying she's not done enough, then criticise her when she tries to change things that will help the situation (Corbyn seems to have made a career out of it!)

I agree we need to be careful with what we do, but a UK bill of rights that's done well could be a good thing IMO! Will need more info to know for sure.

I agree, but anyone other than Mrs May will only make things worse, the Chief Apologist of the Labour Party or that poor excuse for a man that has a total of NINE Liberal MPs!

That just goes to show how difficult it is to write legislation like this.

Human rights laws aren't there to protect terrorists - they are there to protect YOU, and your granny, and your daughter, and your mate down the pub who mouths off about the government when he's had a couple of pints.

They are what stop YOU finding yourself being waterboarded in a camp in some foreign country simply because your travel pattern happened to match that of a "person of interest".

Human rights laws are for the protection of the innocent.

See also: Innocent until proven guilty

Theresa May seems to make a career out of saying that she is going to do things without giving any detail about how she's going to do it.

She said that she wants to increase the length of prison sentences. I'm not sure that will deter many suicide attacks. :|

Human rights protect the scum, and dont help the average joe who is law abiding. Seen it to often when someone protects there property using force, they become the ones arrested, not the lowlife that broke in or tried to steal something. It does need a rethink

Whilst I agree their are issues that's not entirely true.

I believe that person being arrested would have used their right to a fair trial.

Everyday we use our rights to privacy, everyone of us.

These aren't Rights that you can 'activate'. They are passively there all the time, providing you with their protections.

Whilst I think it needs carefully looking at, don't be naive to think that you don't use their rights. They are in constant use all the time!

But the bill of rights will be done as may wishes with no regard for what we want, the magna carta was set out to enshrine our rights yet it has been subverted in every was imaginable, someone asked Cameron about it and his answer was "of course I don't understand it all, it's all written in Latin" which later turned out to be a mandatory subject at his university, don't trust any politician to rewrite your rights in your best interest regardless of their tie colour

They need scrapped its a poor show when a criminal or killer has more rights than the victims i dont think going back to the times of Hitler , adi amin or Salmon hussain but there was very little trouble in those countrys when they where in power

I like the word outlaw, if you break the law your human rights should be suspended ie you can't then hide behind them.

But yes I agree with Lloyd it needs to be done carefully wouldn't take much before were all saying its not fair how can they do this

Theresa May has previously called for coming out of the Human rights act during her many attempts to extradite Abu Hamza etc.

The rights should be re written and adopted by the Uk in favour of the victims and not the terrorists or criminals.

The terrorists lose their rights when criminal actions are enacted.

I do agree Human rights are important to all of us and there needs to be very carefull attention paid to any changes.

However something needs to be done.

Note.

We all know, lots of prominent Human Rights lawyers have made millions out of acting on behalf of criminals and hate preachers. Anything that lessens this would be a start.

Edited by Good shot?

But the bill of rights will be done as may wishes with no regard for what we want, the magna carta was set out to enshrine our rights yet it has been subverted in every was imaginable, someone asked Cameron about it and his answer was "of course I don't understand it all, it's all written in Latin" which later turned out to be a mandatory subject at his university, don't trust any politician to rewrite your rights in your best interest regardless of their tie colour

The Magna Carta was put forward to the monarchy (King John) by the barons for THEIR protection, not for the common man.

It was a binding contract that he reluctantly (was forced ) to sign, and he immediately broke.

The 'idea' of it was later adopted by various countries to inspire their own constitutions or bills of rights (like our own)

If you think you are protected by constitutions ,bills of rights or indeed by the inalienable laws of the land, you are mistaken.

The government, or ruling class will do as they please, and will give you the illusion of asking you if they can first.

I like the word outlaw, if you break the law your human rights should be suspended ie you can't then hide behind them.

But yes I agree with Lloyd it needs to be done carefully wouldn't take much before were all saying its not fair how can they do this

In medieval times, being 'outside' of the law, gave anyone carte blanche to hunt you down and kill you, without any come back.

But the fact was the 'law' was in the hands of the ruling class anyway, so they could pretty much administer a death sentence at will.

If they couldnt find you to kill you, they made you an outlaw, so someone else could ,often for reward.

This is still current practice in some parts of the world.

Curtailing certain parts of the human rights act to deal with terrorism, is without a doubt a can of worms, and is open to abuse by governments.

But then, thats nothing new is it ?

In this country nobody is a criminal until they have been found guilty in a court of law, to make any difference we would have to change it to guilty until proven innocent.

Not entirely true, illegal immigrants can be deported on the order of the Home Secretary, people who violate the terms of their visa/ right to remain can easily be made to face similar expulsion if the rules they must obey were clearly set out at their time of entry.

Get the whole thing off on the right footing from day one, conditional entry..

Edited by Vince Green

The entire act needs a logical, methodical and practical rethink by those people tasked with such matters.

It won't be an easy task for the same reasons many topics on this forum become hard work; namely people making ridiculous claims, passing off opinions as fact and sheer ignorance born out of either bias or just simply that, ignorance.

Some politically opposed media and the left will shout the loudest in an attempt to drown out reasonable intelligent and lucid debate as we have come to see on many subjects. Remember UKIP and immigration?

For a long time it will become a question of political point scoring rather than a genuine desire to achieve something practical and effective.

Edited by Scully

Yeah your right scully Corbyn and co could probably drag the process out for years.

Be good if they made some sort of emergency act, ie your a suspect related to terrorism, as soon as your a person of interest they suspend your human rights.

The human rights problem can be fixed easily.

Keep it, as is, in full, just add one sentence right at the beginning,

"If you violate or hold the human rights of others in contempt then you will forfeit those rights yourself."

I'm sure someone more eloquent could write it better but you get the jist.

Why should a criminal behead an entirely innocent person on the streets of our country and then hide behind the very same rules he showed no regard for. It's madness.