Setting the power on a new PCP

Trajectory

Have your power setting at its highest and with the heaviest weight pellet available (over a chrono) to give maximum ft/lbs that gun is capable of with that heavy pellet.

It should be set to give less than 12 ft/lbs (eg 11.3ft/lbs) if over the legal limit.

Then only use a lower pellet weight of choice to give you best velocity/ trajectory.

A lower pellet weight will give you a faster and flatter trajectory but with less energy.

You should not be over powered in law as long as you only use a lighter weight pellet but it is always advisable to check this occasionally over a chrono

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not. The equation is correct but you dont understand it. The rifle power once set is fixed. Changing the pellet mass will alter the velocity not the power. The equation shows you how mass and velocity are related but power is fixed and is only changed by manual adjustment.

You cannot alter the power of your rifle by changing the pellet. Dont get confused by how ftlb drops with distance. Thats a different thing.

I am not. The equation is correct but you dont understand it. The rifle power once set is fixed. Changing the pellet mass will alter the velocity not the power. The equation shows you how mass and velocity are related but power is fixed and is only changed by manual adjustment.

You cannot alter the power of your rifle by changing the pellet. Dont get confused by how ftlb drops with distance. Thats a different thing.

That only stands if the pellet used to set the ft lb energy initially, was the heaviest pellet on the market. Edited by Newbie to this

That only stands if the pellet used to set the ft lb energy initially, was the heaviest pellet on the market.

It doesnt matter what they use, the power rating will be the same. They probably test with a few weights but the power rating, as per that equation, will come out about the same. To be safe manufacturers dont normally use higher than 11.5 ftlbs.

Anyone with a chrono: pls go out and measure your velocities with different pellets. Plug the mass and velocity values into the equation and lets see what power values you come up with. This is an old wives tale that needs killing off.

It doesnt matter what they use, the power rating will be the same. They probably test with a few weights but the power rating, as per that equation, will come out about the same. To be safe manufacturers dont normally use higher than 11.5 ftlbs.

Anyone with a chrono: pls go out and measure your velocities with different pellets. Plug the mass and velocity values into the equation and lets see what power values you come up with. This is an old wives tale that needs killing off.

Ok one last time, when you refer to power, you are referring to muzzle energy ?

Theoretically you could have a slower muzzle velocity, but with a heavier projectile, a higher muzzle energy.

An old wives tale ? This is basic science !

Throw a brick at 10 mph , or a pebble at 20 mph ,which would you prefer to bounce of your bonce?

Hi dc 177 .

I see you are hell bent on your way of thinking .and i see how you have got there .

I will do that experiment for you this evening as i have a perfect gun and many many different pellets of different weights .i will post the findings and we then can all see how pellet weight may or may not effect the muzzle energy .

Sound good to every body ?

Hi dc 177 .

I see you are hell bent on your way of thinking .and i see how you have got there .

I will do that experiment for you this evening as i have a perfect gun and many many different pellets of different weights .i will post the findings and we then can all see how pellet weight may or may not effect the muzzle energy .

Sound good to every body ?

:good:

Cheers .in fact i will go so far as to do this with a few guns .think will use a bsa ultra .177

A bsa lightening .177 and a hw30 .177

So we have pcp .and springer and a low energy springer .

I only have one .22 at the mo and its a fac .so dont want to use that .

Pellets on test will be .light med heavy and different manufacturers

So probably falcons 7.3 grn .jsb exact 8.44 grn .jsb heavies 10.3 grns

Rws hobbys 7 grns .rws superdomes 8.3 grns .bisley mags 10.5 grns extreems at 9.5 grns

That should do it .??

Yep i will use a combro chronograph at the muzzle and record velocity and the energy of each pellet allowing for the correct weight of the pellet .each pellet will be shot 3 times and an average taken .

Im happy to do this .it must have been at least 3 or 4 months since i did this last .

With a gun

Results are in .

In the end i decided to only use my bsa ultra and xl lightening

I was running out of time so i decided to ditch the hw 30 .it follows the same pattern as the xl anyway just at lower power levels .

Also i dropped a couple of pellets and went with 5 types .

So first up the xl .this is a springer not a gas ram

Falcons 7.3 grn 844 fps 11.57 Fpe

Exact 8.44 772 11.13

Jsb heavy 10.3 663 10.07

Co2 pell 7.0 829 10.70

Bis mags 10.5 637 9.36

Next was the bsa ultra

Falcons 805 10.51

Exact 766 10.94

Heavy 700 11.23

Co2 808 10.16

Bismags 699 11.30

So my guns follow convention

Pcps generally make more energy with heavy pellets

And springers more with lighter ones .

But as you can see there are a few exceptions .

Falcons at 7.3 grns are heavier than the 7 grn c02 pells at 7 grn but make more energy through the springer

What is annoying is that i spaced all that info out nicely but the forum has compressed it all so its harder to read .sorry .

Anyway .as its clear the pellet type can make a massive difference to muzzle energy .

Over 2 fpe with the springer and 1.2 fpe with the pcp .

But thats just these 2 guns others may be different .

(Yeah not by much tho )

Just so you know 10.5 grns in .177 tends to be the heaviest you can go before the energy starts to drop again .

I know i have 13 grn pellets 15 grn pellets 16 grn pellets in .177 and they dont go up, they start to drop again