A Tatton Arthur Tatton hammer gun 12 gauge

A Tatton Arthur Tatton hammer gun

£350

12 gauge Shotgun Private Seller
Used - Average Condition Macclesfield, Cheshire
Hammer, -, -, 28" barrels
20170419_122343 20170419_122343 20170419_122408

Description

Birmingham made hammer gun, retailed by Arthur Tatton, Congleton, which was the local Ironmongers in that South Cheshire town. It needs a little tlc in all honesty , but everything is sound and unmolested. The barrels measure well, are well in proof (checked over by my gunsmith) and free from pits. They could do with a reblue though. Stock is sound, with no cracks or real dings, but would benefit from a rub down, clean and oil finish. So... there's a nice Birmingham gun for not much money.

The seller of this gun doesn't appear to be a Pigeon Watch member, to contact them please use the details on Gun Watch.

You're quite right - the Damascus pattern comes from the different rods of iron used to create the barrels. Depending on how many rods and twists, you get a finer or simpler pattern. The browning is a controlled rusting, that brings out the differences in the metal nicely. Hard to replicate - easier to find a nice Damascus barreled gun! When you consider the cost of an old gun, vs the workmanship, they're a real bargain. And so is the hammer gun above of course... :-)

Update on this, as someone asked me about barrel measurements. It's still within its original nitro proof (1904-1925), with 4 thou of wear. I haven't got minimum wall thicknesses, but given the above, they'll be fine. Chambers are 2.5" and chokes read as 1/4 and 3/4 according to my gauge. No pitting or marking inside the barrels.