A good afternoon in the wind,on peas in flower

I have been doing the rounds on many pea fields for the last 3 weeks, but very few birds have been showing.

Mainly due to the bad weather I had not been out for almost a week and was getting a little stir crazy.

So imagine my excitement yesterday morning when the phone rang and I saw my good friend Marshman calling me, he has without argument some of the best pigeon shooting land around here and often gives me a great day out, well Thursday was to be another great day.

Sure enough his peas were under attack and would I like to spend the afternoon trying to dissuade them from eating everything in sight, would I ever!

We were in the car by 1.30 and checking out three main target areas , all were very busy with bird traffic but one stood out , a long sloping field with trees both sides, a small wood in one corner and two very busy flight lines moving across the field.

We pulled into the gateway and let out Bobby the young black lab that Marshman is training up since the sad loss of his old lab George, what Bobby lack in experience he makes up for in enthusiasm, within seconds the sky was blue with birds lifting all over the field,

We loaded up with the essential gear and a bit more besides and headed up the hedge line picking a gap between large trees but where a thick hedge gave us shelter from the very blustery wind,

decoys out we settled back into our chairs and bingo , in came the first customer, ever the gentleman Marshman offered me first shot and I quickly took the bird which had crossed the decoy area and presented a nice easy first shot,

From then on it was birds in all directions for some time, coming in 2's and 3's they kept us busy for a couple of hours with some very good shooting on both sides of the hide,

Bobby was kept on his toes as we were having trouble finding birds that had fallen behind the hedge in a thickly overgrown area of brambles and nettles with 10 foot dykes on two sides, one of which I nearly fell into trying to avoid a huge bramble bush, but no problem for Bobby as he skittled down the steep slopes and enjoyed a paddle in the shallow water before rejoining us.

The birds had thinned out by 4.30 and for the last 2 hours up to 6.30 when we headed home it was a steady trickle of birds moving along the flight lines and coming in for a look over the decoys.

So after clearing up the empty cartridges and bringing in the last few birds a quick count gave us 69 picked with 6 more lost in the jungle behind us,

Two trips back to the car to get everything away ( well we are both getting on a bit ) and we headed home knowing we had at least kept them moving for the time we were there, but for Marshman the battle goes on as we had not even dented the population and there was a lot more to do before the peas would be ready to pick.

Once again my thanks to Marshman who always manages to find a good day on the pigeons, and to Bobby for saving a lot of leg work picking up. Many thanks my friend, now you can get back to tiling that bathroom, no rest for the wicked. :lol::lol:

Edited by lakeside1000

Excellent report on our afternoons sport in the sunshine Alan , glad the pigeons played ball and you had a few shots with your new gun , the wind helped to provide some tricky but enjoyable shooting and overall you coped with the pigeons swinging about fairly well.

Yes you were right , I have been tiling in the bathroom and I have got enough brownie points now to go at least 2 to 3 times a week till the end of the summer :lol: , when I finished today I went to have a trip around the fields to weigh up the situation and hopefully I will start using them up tomorrow .

A very good report. A fine day out for a pair of old codgers.

You are bang on Mr JDog referring us as old codgers , with a combined age of just under 140 we were certainly slower coming off the field than when we went on and I am sure we both slept well.

Hope you and your good lady are enjoying the sunshine and the surroundings .

A good report of what sounds like a fantastic afternoon's pigeon shooting.

Thanks aga man , have a good weekend and I hope it stay dry for you .