Advice Good Ambidextrous Air Rifle?

Malinois

Hi,

Although I am a sec 1 licence holder I fancy an air rifle for pigeon control in barns etc. I am left handed so I'm not wanting something with a right cheekpiece etc.

Any advice on a good starting out air rifle and should I just jump up a notch and get an FAC one?

Ian

hello, an F A C air rifle is not advisable in barns, if you talking ferrels most sub 12 ft llb rifles will do the job, a true left hander is maybe hard to find but an ambi stock might surfice, i would look at an HW 95 in .177 being has a silencer armed with a hawke 3 x 9 x 50 scope and use flat head pellets or such like as they should not penetrate roofing, its not going to be long range ? ferrels on the ridges a different matter ? a heavy domed like JSBs or H and N will do the long range to 40 yards, you might find zero shift between flat and domed so find the best between the 2, a red torch will help as can be fairly dark in the ridges, i shoot in a huge grain dryer and the mess ferels make is ******** good luck

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

What sort of budget you looking at Ian as that will be a factor between pre charged and spring powered.

Also good advice above I wouldnt go FAC air for pigeon control in barns too much chance of putting holes in things. Also you won't need massive range which is the major benefit of going FAC air.

Edited by Zetter

Then the world is your oyster, have a look around the £400-500 mark, you'll get much more for your money second hand probably get rifle and scope for that.

Just hinders you slightly wanted a left or ambi stock.

Then you've got calibres which no one will agree on, I'm a .22 person ferals and rats round farm buildings with a bisley pest control pellet job done.

Wouldnt go wrong with one of the Air Arms such as a 410 or a 510 with the ultralight amidextrous stock plenty about in good nick 2nd hand and that would easily give you enough to get an air bottle. Other options are the Weihrauch 100 or a second hand Daystate.

From personal experience the Air Arms take some beating I have been through most of them and am back on an air arms 410 carbine again for my air needs.

hello, an F A C air rifle is not advisable in barns, if you talking ferrels most sub 12 ft llb rifles will do the job, a true left hander is maybe hard to find but an ambi stock might surfice, i would look at an HW 95 in .177 being has a silencer armed with a hawke 3 x 9 x 50 scope and use flat head pellets or such like as they should not penetrate roofing, its not going to be long range ? ferrels on the ridges a different matter ? a heavy domed like JSBs or H and N will do the long range to 40 yards, you might find zero shift between flat and domed so find the best between the 2, a red torch will help as can be fairly dark in the ridges, i shoot in a huge grain dryer and the mess ferels make is ******** good luck

hello, a friend has just picked up a brand new .177 HW 95 LEXUS,with nikko sterling scope 3 x 9 x 40 AO I/R , mounted and zero d £320. if you have £700 plus a VGC s/h AIR ARMS S410 scoped with a 12 ltr 300 bar tank, here its a tenner to charge any size tank so a 12 will last ?????? of fills, a long time, or a decent pump and you have a few £s left over for pellets

Surface tanks need checking every five years at the moment you really want a 300 bar one if at all possible to get the most bang for your money. If you have a suitable compressor you can fill your own in fact there have been a few more affordable commpressors on the market that can do 300 bar so I know a few clubs have invested.

As already mentioned the S410/510 Superlite's take some beating and would be a better bet than a dedicated left hooker as it's easier to sell on when the time comes - I use both the S410 classic (.177) and .22 Carbine for all my pest control needs and have never once had the slightest problem with them - I bought dedicated left handers but then I cannot see myself ever selling them.

I've been going through similar looking for an ambi air rifle that my (leftie) brother can also use: the advice from pretty much all the shops/forums has pointed me towards a Weihracuh HW100KT. Engineering seems to be top notch, and the magazine system/double load prevention looks very well thought out. Comes with mod as standard too.

If I'm honest, I don't find the thumbhole stock pleasing on the eye, but it seems to be the best tool for the job. I'm expecting one to be in my cabinet very soon.

S*S take a look at the 110, heard it described as everything the 100 should have been, don't know about the stock though?

I would endorse Mice!. Fantastic handling gun and very useable by a "leftie". I love the grippy black stock and really like the look of the whole rifle. Buy a 110, you'll love it. Best wishes,Mark

Edited by mcmj

The biggest issue with pistols in confined spaces is , the lack of velocity of the pellets .

The lower the speed the more likley you are to get a rebounded shot come straight back at you especially if you hit wood or plastic ..a 400 - 500 fps .177 is highly likey to rebound but a 700 - 800 fps pellet will either penetrate or splatter .

This is one of the biggest issues with low power junior rifles shot at close ranges ,say in a garden .they bounce back making the gun actually more dangerous than a full power gun .

If he can hit what he is after then a crosman 2240 is a good place to start .

I use one to dispatch pigeons with the muzzle to the skull .