Back Cover of the Shooting Times- Auto's

keg

Would agree with point 2 :lol:

Back to the original point. Having had a dig around, there is no definitive answer on the OED site but i did find this on http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/apostrophes_show_plural_of_abbreviations.htm

"Do not Use an Apostrophe for the Plural of a Normal Abbreviation

It is worth reiterating this point. Do not use apostrophes for the plurals of normal abbreviations"

I must add that i failed both English Language and Lit....

Ah.......I though you were complaining about the advert, not the Grammar :lol:

:shaun:

Apologies if i'm not making sense, i'll get me coat. If my scanner worked i would have posted it. No complaints about the advert. More of a chat post than anything serious.

Nothing wrong with a Pigeon Watch post of pedantry around punctuation, but what about alliteration? 🤓

Although there is often no definitive answer in respect to correct usage of the apostrophe, in the example given "autos" would be the accepted format.

Agree with ...

If I wrote it, my preference would be autos.

Personally I wouldn't use an apostrophe if the abbreviation is plural. :) It should read "autos".

Not seeing the point of any animosity towards the OP, it's a genuine question on the proper use of grammar. I've noticed on other forums that any discussion regarding grammar has become almost taboo, as if it's offensive in some way. I can absolutely understand that someone should never try to correct someone's grammar on an informal forum, but it's a pretty depressing state of affairs when the subject, in any context, can't even be discussed. To any who say it doesn't really matter, tell that to my old English language teacher, who took immense pleasure in whacking you over the head with a wooden ruler if you got it wrong! (Though admittedly you're going to have to hold a seance to get conformation from him).

Edited by racing snake

Back to the OPs observation that the magazine had got it wrong, whatever your take on this, pedantic or not, I think that as these magazines receive their main income from adverts, not from subscriptions as some believe, then at least they should take time out to get everything right. If not, then their errors should be commented on.

I recall a few years ago as advert in one of the shooting magazines for some type of artificial decoy and in the picture was clearly a dead stock dove set up alongside. This advert was soon removed after myself and many others pointed out their error and possible repercussions. Fortunately this was deleted before the likes of Packham, Oddie et al could make something of it.

OB

Apologies if i'm not making sense, i'll get me coat. If my scanner worked i would have posted it. No complaints about the advert. More of a chat post than anything serious.

Seriously......don't worry about it,

It's called off topic for a reason, we get to chat about anything,

If nothing else you started a debate on something other than politics and that can only be good :good:

:shaun: