Best 223 ammo for foxing

Hi all, what your opinions on 223 ammo? It's from my steyr 223 pro hunter... Want something fast and still keep accuracy. Max shot 250-300 yards

Hornady Superformace is pretty good, I was surprised when I chrono'd it....53g Vmax at 3,295fps out of a 20" barrel 1 in 9 twist

Hi all, what your opinions on 223 ammo? It's from my steyr 223 pro hunter... Want something fast and still keep accuracy. Max shot 250-300 yards

Every gun is different. what suits one gun is different to another gun. 250-300 yards is a long, long way. closest i've had was the other side of an apple tree and the furthest 375 paces. But the range is more likely to be like 70 >> 100. unless someone has educated them and that makes it a lot more difficult.

If it works it works but PPU in 223 has given me far to many 'clicks' for me to rely on and in 243 with 90/100 gr sp and 308 in 150 sp, bad headspace tolerance. I shoot lots of different guns which rules out one specific rifle at fault. Ppu is cheap for a reason and if it works yippee but dont be such a working class hero over the issue.

Whats with the working class hero bit? PPU at about 55p a round is plenty good enough for foxes, most of ours are about 100yds to be honest. Its not high tech stuff at 100 yds but I honestly can't remember a bad shot and because we use them on the range as well, we buy 500 rounds at a time.

Its good out to 600 yds but not V bull accurate past 300

Whats with the far too many clicks? do you mean misfires? Never ever had one, or seen one ever, with any ammo in the past 20 years other than .22RF

Edited by Vince Green

I wish my rifles liked ppu as it's so cheap but I managed 4" groups in my howa .223 and I can't even get them to load in my 243 howa.

I used to use Winchester varmint x a lot and it's cheaper than hornady so win win . I managed 3/4" groups in 223 with it . I've saved the brass now and reload.

Win x223r (super x) 55gr is also fine and relatively inexpensive.

Any 223 supersonic round is more than adequate for foxes under 300yards if they group well with your gun.

As to speed 55gr going at 3240 or lighter going at 3495 doesn't make a perceptible change to sub 300 yard time of flight or difference to the fox.

Again at 300 with a 200 zero, 55gr drops about 9inch, the flattest shooting, 6.5 inch or so.

Above 300 there may be performance benefits from certain loadings, but below 300 I would choose the cheapest most accurate ammo I could find and wouldn't be too bothered about much else.

I use hornady 55g v-max but I've never shot out to those distances. Most of mine are under 100 yards.

Same here. Reloaded and gives me 3200 fps. No runners at all. Most shot at 100 yards or less. never had a bullet pass right through the fox. Even when i shot one broadside at around 70 yards!

• 1 month later...