traveling with Gun on trains

what is the legal situation on taking a gun on a train keeping it with you either by your side or on the rack above you?

I was thinking of using a aluminum gun case i have and disassembling the Gun a SXS shotgun.

What is the law regarding ammo too, can it be taken with you.

If its legal it would make my life a little easier, thats all .

I bought my .308 in London and traveled back on train with it in a Aim drag bag, I did take the bolt out and kept it in my pocket also the rifle never left my side nothing said by ticket collector. If I had ammo that would of been kept on myself (never had any). As it is not on show in public place and with bolt not with rifle action you are not braking the law.

Edited by johnlewis

Railway byelaws:

Potentially dangerous items

• Except with written permission from an Operator or an authorised person, no person shall bring with him or allow to remain on the railway any item which, in the opinion of an authorised person, may threaten, annoy, soil or damage any person or any property.
  • If any person in charge of an item contrary to Byelaw 2(1) is asked by an authorised person to remove it and fails to do so immediately, it may be removed by or under the direction of an authorised person.

I'm guessing that the interpretation of this isn't going to be up to you...

My suggestion, be very discreet about and you'll be okay.

Railway byelaws:

Potentially dangerous items[/size]

• Except with written permission from an Operator or an authorised person, no person shall bring with him or allow to remain on the railway any item which, in the opinion of an authorised person, may threaten, annoy, soil or damage any person or any property. [/size]
  • If any person in charge of an item contrary to Byelaw 2(1) is asked by an authorised person to remove it and fails to do so immediately, it may be removed by or under the direction of an authorised person. [/size]

If you look in the national conditions of carriage there is a section relating to what can and can't be carried.IIRC the carriage of unloaded guns is down to the individual train operating company.

I'd put a decent amount of money on the guard not knowing the rule either hence be discreet.

I wont be carrying it in anything looks gun shaped its in an old alloy gun case square locked and in the padding diagonally its not quite 30 inch long overall, i suppose people in the know would recognize it as a gun case but i could wrap it in black packaging plastic i suppose then it would be very well disguised.

Myself Like ips in not too keen on the whole idea, but i am exchanging the gun for a van from a friend up there. any other method involves another body to drive it back this way its just me and my time. Would make life easy if i do it this way.

I'd be tempted to take a small cable lock and also discretely lock the case to something immobile (the table leg or similar). I use a ski lock for this whenever I've had to take musical instruments on the train. Just stops them being casually lifted.

I assume its a shotgun?

If you dont have a case split it down and wrap it in bubble wrap, wrap the 2 lots together and wrap it in packing tape,

Put it in a holdall and keep it with you, bubble wrap will give it some protection and bulk it out a bit to fill the bag.

If its in a case and you can borrow a big enough holdall, zip tie the case shut and do as above.

Get a window seat (preferably on a 2 set) and put it infront of you with your foot through the handle - if you go outside rush hour you may have the block of seats to yourself

Wouldn't think twice about it. Break it down and carry it in something that doesn't look like a gun case, a tatty holdall, rucksack or Aldi "bag for life" wrapped or covered in clothes or similar. In the luggage rack above your seat or by your feet and don't leave it unattended. Don't see what the fuss is about.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Railway byelaws:

Potentially dangerous items

• Except with written permission from an Operator or an authorised person, no person shall bring with him or allow to remain on the railway any item which, in the opinion of an authorised person, may threaten, annoy, soil or damage any person or any property.
  • If any person in charge of an item contrary to Byelaw 2(1) is asked by an authorised person to remove it and fails to do so immediately, it may be removed by or under the direction of an authorised person.

Interesting. So presumably, as long as it doesn't look like you're going to beat anyone over the head with it, an unloaded - and therefore harmless - rifle or shotgun is fine. :)

What a mess they'd get into with the second bullet point though! How does a train guard, not in possession of a shotgun certificate, legally remove or direct someone to remove a shotgun from your possession...? Assuming of course, there isn't a BTP constable on hand to do the necessary... I'm just saying.

The quoted above is nothing to do with taking guns on trains,below I have lifted from the national conditions of carriage.

Items permitted at the discretion of individual Train Companies, for which a fee may

be payable

Item

Mobility scooters

Canoes; surfboards; sailboards

Skis and ski-boards; golf equipment; other sports equipment except where shown as not permitted

below

Musical Instruments exceeding these dimensions, 30 x 70 x 90 cm which are also set out in

Unloaded guns