a very sad day.

mel b3

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear it mate.

Was he very old?

thank you for the kind words gents , it means a lot.

he was born in 1941 nath , that made him older than a conker tree(as i would often remind him).

by todays standards , he would be considered a rubbish dad , when we were younger he was in the pub every night , or sat in front of the telly watching the cricket. i got most of my bad habits from my dad , drinking too much , smoking too much , shooting too much , fishing too much . he taught me that everything was legal , as long as you didnt get caught .

he was a very quiet man , and very rarely showed emotion , i only ever saw him shed a tear once , and he only ever hugged me once , both on the day that my first wife passed away(her own dad passed away when she was very young ,so she loved my dad like he was her own , and he loved her back just as much).

he was never judgmental , and whenever i got into a scrape(i got myself into plenty) he would always be there to bail me out , all he would say was "you shouldnt have done that" , but what he meant was , you shouldnt have got caught.

my dad had a very rough upbringing , his family were former bargees and were a pretty rough bunch , his own dad was a large , aggressive , drunken , bully , and was never shy with his belt or his fists with my dad , as a consequence , my dad never raised a hand to any of us kids , his worst punishment as children was for him to storm upstairs after my mom had sent us to bed , and tickle us until we almost wet the bed, then tell us to be quiet or my mom would be up to sort us out.

he was a real grafter , and spent many years working in the foundries and steel works of the black country , in later life , he spent a few years working in a slaughterhouse , i worked with him for a while and it was a nightmare , he would do the work of two blokes , and he expected me to do the same , i could hardly stand by the end of most shifts.

as he got older , he turned his hand to woodworking , he would spend hours in his workshop making , tables , foot stools , and his favourite of all , boxes. he would make most things from reclaimed wood , and would turn out some real quality work . it was a real shame that he never realised just how good he was.

over the last few years , he had been suffering with the beginnings of dementia , some days were better than others , but i would often sit with him and have the shooting conversation , he would say "you been out shooting"? , id fill him in on the details , then he would say "you been out shooting"? , it always used to make me smile.

we havent got a clue what to do about his funeral , whenever funerals were discussed , his answer was always the same "i dont care , ill be dead , you can stick me up the bloody garden for all i care". i truly believe that he meant it.

one saving grace , is that he spent last week in tenerife, he absolutely loved his holidays , and he was there with my sisters and their kids , and some of his great grand kids , it was also my lads first time abroad , and he loved going with grandad.

one of the things that my dad taught me , was that boys dont cry . im really struggling with that one this morning.

I have a real sense of what you are feeling.

Lost my Dad 17 years ago,When that happened part of me went too.

He was my Rock,your Dad sounds very much like mine.

My heart goes out to you and your family,You only have one set of parents,So kiss them every day..

Best of luck with the heart ache Mel,Today has brought it all back..

He has just moved into another room mate,always in the other room..

You wil find that room he is in one day..

Hug the Family for comfort,,Bless you All.

Sorry to hear this Mel ,our thoughts and condolences at this sad time,lost dad 5 years ago to the big C it,s a horrible thing to go through but just remember the good times with your best mate .There,s always laughter and smiles to remind you of him ,little moments will come back to remind you of dad ,your friend ,pal and confidante atb Iain and Debbie

Very sorry to hear of your loss Mel, your dad sounds like he was a great guy. He was right, boys don't cry, but grown men with more experience who know better can shed as many tears as it takes in honour and memory of their loved ones.

Sincere condolences to you, Linda and the rest of your family. My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

Mick