.50 Cal Airgun Anyone?

Danger-Mouse

I personally can't see the point in any air cal bigger than .25 .

Once you go over 50 fpe of a .25 cal .your firmly into rim fire territory and a .50 cal air is centre fire territory in energy terms but running at 950 fps with airgun trajectory .?why ? Whats the point ?

Novelty value would soon run out .

I can only imagine the price of pellets for it

A lot are cast/swaged from scrap lead, so quite cheap as they are not dissimilar to the old black powder muzzle loading bullets, so dies and moulds are available.

10 pence a bullet wouldn't be far out.

If you have to buy then, 25p each or so.

Wonder when we get solid slug shotgun airguns for wild boar and elephants.

About 200 years ago....

One European army fully equipped its soldiers with large bore airguns.

VERY popular guns at the time for hunting (no flash or smoke) no expensive to make & frequently fatal to the user if they blew up.

Think as they get more powerful that may change.

...but taking big game and will bring them up on the radar of the authorities.

Like US laws on black powder guns not being a firearm you mean? (Legal to buy through the post, legal to own b.p. handguns in the big cities that ban handgun ownership, etc.)

Like US laws on black powder guns not being a firearm you mean? (Legal to buy through the post, legal to own b.p. handguns in the big cities that ban handgun ownership, etc.)

Austria . I have shot one several years ago . Had a round screw on air tank under the action .

Harnser

I personally can't see the point in any air cal bigger than .25 .

Once you go over 50 fpe of a .25 cal .your firmly into rim fire territory and a .50 cal air is centre fire territory in energy terms but running at 950 fps with airgun trajectory .?why ? Whats the point ?

Novelty value would soon run out .

But that's the modern mindset with modern knowledge of modern, smokeless rifles.

Back when whoever it was that made that 700+ yard shot with his .45-70 rifle to knock out one of the British commanders in the war of independence - Billy DIxon, perhaps??? - no-one batted an eyelid about using massive, slow projectiles and aiming so that the high point of their bullet's arc was 50' above the level of the target they were aiming at. It's more artillery than sniper, but that was the best way, when you couldn't manufacture steel capable of handling smokeless pressures. You don't need velocity - just accurate range judgement and a table of drops (or intimate knowledge of your rifle / cartridge).

• 4 weeks later...

Don't have to go as far as that.

BP available on free sale to anyone of 18 in France

They also have the large calibre air gums in .357 etc avail to purchased using your normal Licence.

Edited by Jaymo

got to agree I have one and I love it..... a smile comes with every shot..................

I fully AGREE with you Fandango, i only bought my wolverine for fun

it certainly devastates prey ,but more useful is my fac Airranger .22cal @38 fpe this has killed

great numbers of rabbits out to 70--80 yds ,i use this also for NV bunnies with my Nite- Site Wolf Nv

great fun NV shooting.

atb brian