Bring back the death penalty?

Red-dot

The point of prison is to rehabilitate offenders to attempt to make them productive members of society. Some people don't deserve a place in society, some are beyond rehabilitation. It's costs a fortune so no point wasting time and our taxes on those individuals in my opinion

And yes it's much too comfortable in prison currently

And therein, I fear, is the root of the problem.

Although vehemently opposed to capital punishment, I do believe that our prison system is back to front. Prior to rehabilitation should come punishment. Once an adequate penance has been served then efforts should be made towards rehabilitation, otherwise what deterrent is there?

Chain gangs, basic provisions, no luxuries. Make criminals understand that if they transgress the rules of civilised society then there are reparations to be made.

I agree prison has lost its deterrent how many come out and reoffend ? how many come out with a education ?. Life should mean life life America 395 years + life you never see or hear from them again . but why should they murder people and be kept are our expense

Whole life term in solitary, with nothing is no form of life

I agree, it is no form of life. Yet we pay for it. What I am saying is why should we. Dispatch and forget people of such calibre. Spend the money we would have used to house such people on charitable organisations.

Edited by Duckandswing

It always makes me laugh that people actually think that the death penalty is a deterrent it is not as these people do not expect that they will ever get caught they have the death penalty in the US yet they get more murders than most other countries that do not have it add to that given the choice would you prefer a quick death or spending 20 years in prison.

Skipping back to what Lloyd said the majority of offenders are from rough backgrounds. The family that my parents fostered are a prime example. The kids were trained to shoplift from the time they could walk and the girls were programmed to breed from the time they hit 16 so they can get a house. They have no expectations from life other than to claim off the state, they have no desire to contribute to society and if it happens they can top up their benefits from a life of crime all the better. The family were involved with are comparable to rats with their reproduction capacity! It's quite incredible!

There's really no solution because even if you reinstated national service these are the sort of milingerers that can't/won't fight - these kids we have will actively tell you they wouldn't join the army because they'd get shot. Even with all of our help probably only 2 out of the 4 kids currently being looked after will ever contribute to society. The one has left care and fortunately become a lesbian so hopefully she won't reproduce! One has got a good job in racing and is doing well. The next one will be in his last year of school in September has no scholarly prowess, no character or charisma or personality and no practical skills. He thinks he might become a chef in the navy but he can't swim and he's worried he'll get shot! And the youngest one will probably end up being a farm labourer so should do ok for himself.

They have no respect for the police or law - the August before they came into care the police visited their house 34 times! In one month! When they made a prank call to the police at my parents and 4 armed police turned up that frightened them a little!

If this is what the young people that are being helped are like you can only imagine the disdain that other kids in the same situation have for the law.

Short of forcing them into some sort of community/military service you won't stop them offending. Quite often prison is a better option than staying at home! The death penalty wouldn't make a difference to them because they have the mentality that you've got to get caught first and it wouldn't happen to them.

I don't believe the death penalty would have much impact on the criminal fraternity as there are far too many of them and they know all the angles; all the rights and sod those that they offend against. As a knee jerk reaction I think many people initially think - hang em - kill em -whatever way you want but get rid of them.

So lets just suppose it is your father, brother, sister - even your mother who lands up in a situation whereby they have somehow caused the death of a person: Would you still be shouting for them to be hung? Or say you were off to the pub with your pals and you all ended up in a fight with a bunch of neds and one gets punched and falls down and dies - you going to shout for your pal to be hung?

This is partially why the hanging penalty was stopped - there are few too little number of cases where you can say yep - with no doubt at all that person needs to be hung. And actually apportioning the blame to the person to be hung may well be the biggest mistake of your lief aws part of the jury hearing the evidence.

Derek Bentley's case is the most frequently given Example of how it all goes wrong - totally.

I respect your feelings of anger about such crimes but I feel there has to be other ways to get at the criminals - first of all we need to decide if we are out to hurt then so unbelievably so that they understand how we all feel about what they did? It wouldn't take long for us to be seen as worse than them.

You said you would open the trapdoor but failing that being an option would you want to still hurt them physically?

So the option left is to imprison the person and attempt to rehabilitate them and if that doesn't cut the mustard then they continue to be kept inside.

I think the only way top really get at criminals is to ensure they are not allowed to run and rule the prisons as they at present certainly seem to do.

I think this original post will go on for a while as it is quite emotive and with good reason too.

I am not a bleeding heart liberal either - I've just been aware of the errors either deliberate or accidental that have screwed up peoples lives.

Pushkin :good:

The death penalty will never be used again because of the costs involved - far cheaper to keep a man behind bars than kill him and pay the legal powers that be hundreds of thousands of pounds nit picking every tiny piece of the case against the defendant. Prisons are kept comfortable to help keep prisoners happy and content - prison officers no longer have the power to punish offenders for bad behaviour or the resources to battle constant riots.

I personally would bring back capital punishment for certain crimes . There are two functional execution chambers in two London prisons . These are kept operational because their are two crimes that you could still be executed for ,setting light to a naval dock yard and high treason . Yes I would bring it back for certain crimes . Retribution ,in this day and age is now a word that is politically incorrect , but not to me .

Yes bring it back for heinous crimes , but do remember Timothy Evans ,

Harnser

There are two functional execution chambers in two London prisons . These are kept operational because their are two crimes that you could still be executed for ,setting light to a naval dock yard and high treason .

This is no longer true. Capital punishment was abolished completely and for all offences including the 2 mentioned in 1998 when the ECHR was ratified by the government. The Last working gallows is now an exhibit in Nottingham at the galleries of justice museum. Incidentally while ever we remain in the European Convention of Human Rights (Not to be mistaken for the EU) after Brexit it is prohibited to reinstate capital punishment according to ECHR rules

Harnser

Edited by forestred

Pierrepoint's autobiography makes an interesting read.

I'm fairly sure that he makes the point that all the hangings that he performed never solved anything.

I'm in favour but realise that realistically it will never be brought back.

i blow hot and cold on this question....

what i do think is or would be a deterrant....is an old style gulag....some god foresaken island off the scottish coast....concrete ..charmless buildings...armed guards....labour of some sort....make it a frightening and intimidating place....where the inmates would be ground down into submission or leave a broken person or in a box.............

people looking at that would prefer a hanging option.........

As support for the restoration of the death penalty, not sure that Thomas Mair provides much weight because he's clearly borderline crackers.

If, and it's a big if, there were grounds for bringing back the rope, better candidates would be people who sign off on jobs that they know might result in disaster involving tragic and unnecessary loss of life.

I'm thinking of this morning's fire in Ladbroke Grove. Of course, it's too early to know what happened. But those scenes of burning pieces of cladding dropping like wax, and the speed and shape of the destruction suggest something was badly wrong with the building itself.

We'll no doubt see in due course. But in the event that there was something wrong with the recent renovation, and in the event that there were people who were aware of the potential danger but kept stum for financial or political reasons, then for me those people who cynically risked other people's lives (lives for which they were professionally and morally responsible) would be better candidates for the rope than random nutters who hear voices or stressed individuals who lose their rag and go beserk. The latter are basically inadequate losers, whereas the former make calculated risks with the lives other people's families.

If those risks don't work out someone needs to pay a heavy price if only just to keep the decision making process hohnest.

i blow hot and cold on this question....

what i do think is or would be a deterrant....is an old style gulag....some god foresaken island off the scottish coast....concrete ..charmless buildings...armed guards....labour of some sort....make it a frightening and intimidating place....where the inmates would be ground down into submission or leave a broken person or in a box.............

people looking at that would prefer a hanging option.........

That sounds like Hull