Miroku Mk 60 Grade 5 20 Bore

JJsDad

Planing a trip to the Game Fair at Hadfield House with the view to buying a MK 60 20 bore with the 30in. barrels.

This is to replace a very nice AYA best quality boxlock that I just dont seem to be able to get on with consistently.

I only shoot clays occasionally for a bit of fun and the gun would be used primarily for game shooting. I am in a walk & stand syndicate and well the wrong side of 60, so weight is an issue. There are a number of favourable reviews on the web that generally praise the balance and finish but the tech specs indicate a weight of around 7 lb give or take an oz. This seems a lot for a 20 bore, at 7 lb this exceeds the weight of my AYA 12 bore sidelock.

In the light that these reviews are invariably favourable towards the manufacture or importer I wondered if anyone has one who would care to share the plus or negative sides of this model. Alternatively I would have a look for a B grade B25 if I came across one that didnt

involve selling the dogs, the car and the wifes jewelry. Any views appreciated.

Thanks for replies. Barrel length in a hide is not an issue as I have a 28in, barreled 12 that i use for pigeon that I am perfectly happy with.

I often use my existing 20 bore for early season Pheasant and Partridge but it weighs a fraction over 6 lbs and my consistency with it is suffering as its so light I am often missing in front, the longer barrels would hopefully steady out my swing. Beretta.s just dont suit me. Had 2 over the years including a eell 20 bore, nice enough guns but never felt totally as one with either of them.

The AYA is going in Part ex or for sale. It nearly went in part ex against a 30in. barreled B25 Browning (B2G) until the dealer in question let on it was a commision sale. Bit of a time waster as I thought he should have revealed that on his advert.

Edited by JJsDad

I have a grade 1 mk60 20 bore with 30 inch barrels and love it . All I know is that it is lighter than any of my 12 bores and is a very fast handling gun . I like how the chamber lengths are stamped on the barrels as two and three quarters and three inch , never seen that on a gun before . Super little gun .

Harnser

I had a grade 5 mk60 20 30 inch and still wish I never sold it. The wood was very nice as most mirokus seem to be. The second 3/4 choke was great for birds getting away. I don't think you can beat miroku for the money. After a brief spell without a 20 I'm now shooting a 725 30 inch, which may be worth I look although I feel the miroku is a better finished gun.

Thanks to all for the positive replies; at least no horror stories emerged. As Miroku also build the Browning range of 325/425 etc one expects their own brand to be equally good. Prepared to look at a Browning but virtually all seem to be multi-choke which I dont need or want in a game gun.

At the end of the day it will come down to personal choice but interesting to see if anyone had any negative comments. All to late when your hard earned cash is gone

and a fault emerges where all the PW forum say: "Oh dear, didnt you know, they all go like that"

Cheers folks.

I too am well on the wrong side of 60 !!

I've had a Miroku MK 60 Gd 1 20 bore with 30" barrels for about 7 yrs. I also have a Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 bore with 30" barrels. I've just put them both on the kitchen scales. The Miroku weighs in at 6lb 1oz and the Beretta 6lb 4ozs.

For me the Miroku is my gun of choice. I feel more at ease with it and as Bungler says a fantastic gun so well balanced and very pointable. The main change I made was to have it multi choked by Nigel Teague who also did the gun fit. My only criticism is that it came in a cardboard box!

Good choice. Go for it.

I've got a 30" MK60 Grade 5 20 bore and it's a lovely gun.

Yes there are lighter 20 bores but I don't really notice it and it's lighter than my 12 bore over and under's, one of which is an MK38 which is also fantastic.

So many people I know are changing to Miroku's right now and often from more expensive guns.

The MK60 is very nicely balanced and if anything I'd prefer a longer one as I shoot clays with 32" and find it steadier.

The weight is an advantage in that you can shoot heavier cartridges if you feel the need, but you can still shoot the traditional light loads if you're a purist!

I've shot 32g 5's in mine with not too much recoil and you have the advantage of a lighter gun for those long walks.

I don't think you'll have anything go wrong with it, as all their models are tried and tested and seem pretty bomb proof.

can you now buy a miroku with auto safe i bought a browning 725 because of that love my 26" 3700 but its seen better days saying that it's the one i pick up every time

Yes you can. It looks like they are supplied from new with the necessary push rod. If you look at the `Greenfields of Salisbury` web site they will fit it while you wait when purchasing a new one. This relates to the MK 60, dont know whether this applies to the sporter and trap versions where a manual safety is the norm.

Edited by JJsDad

Great guns!!!! I have Gd1 28in barrels. fixed chokes. Weighs 6.5lb. Picked up for much less than what it's worth off an lovely ol boy i know about 6 months ago. He brought it new and had only put a couple of boxes of carts through it. With how poor the pigeon shooting was in my area last winter it made a big difference to my shooting and helped put a few extra birds in the bag. Being that much lighter than a 12 so well balanced and easy to carry. When woodies didn't decoy well or were field hopping, instead of not setting up or packing in, i walked the fields and tried different farms and areas. Using hit and move tactics if they didn't play ball or come back. Carrying just gun, game bag, bino's, pocket full of carts and 3 or 4 flocked shells.Usually ending the day most weeks in a roost wood. First used it in a wood and was immediately surprised with how quick, point-able and distances it was knocking down birds with the various carts i was given with the gun. Both woodies and pheasants. Very handy on crows, rabbits and the odd fox to. It feels so right it's a keeper for me!! Also because it belonged to a die'n breed of proper ol country boi i av known all my life who has taught me a lot about nature, shooting and the land! He got me my first farm to shoot on to. After going thro the various carts that came with it i have settled on and found sipe 28g 6's do the job. What do others use? Down side. Carts more expensive, but don't take up so much room/weight in the pocket. Being nearly new i find the action and safety still very stiff after putting 1,500 carts thro it.

Sorry to waffle on. Lol. NB