Amazon are going to sell new cars

Harnser

Typically 6-8% margin in new cars so around £1400 (out of which they pay vat and corporation tax) on a £20k vehicle and that's before any discount, px over allowance, subsidy to the manufacturer towards cheap finance deals such as 0%, also before considering it costs a bog standard dealer £100k per month to open the doors so if you think they've been ripping you off :rolleyes: then by all means ask Amazon to make sure they open satellite service hubs and somewhere you can take your new car when it needs warranty work or parts etc, because without profit from sales they'll either go bust or have to charge even more ludicrous hourly rates for labour.

I wonder if they can do nest day delivery lol.

Big money in the car industry, just have to wonder if they'll put everyone else out of business then jack up the prices?!

Myth. There is decent money if you do everything very well including new AND second hand car sales (quarterly bonuses if you hit target are usually make or break for profit terms), servicing, warranty sales, finance, parts, repairs etc, most dealerships struggle in one or two areas.

You would go to a main agent and claim warranty work .

Harnser

Which of course the main dealer is obliged to do.

However, customers who've purchased elsewhere may find the dealer busy and they can't get their car looked at for some time.

There is also a large amount of work not covered by warranty, cars that do, don't do, things they expected them to, customers who don't understand how the tech' in their car works, can't pair the phone, noises, unexpected warning lights.

Lots of things that aren't faults but the customer still expects not to pay while someone looks or explains.

We do all of this goodwill work for free as we've made a (small) profit selling them the car and we appreciate their loyalty.

Go buy somewhere else and the goodwill disappears.

Go home and read the handbook or it's £70 an hour while someone tells you how to use the sat nav'.

Which of course the main dealer is obliged to do.

However, customers who've purchased elsewhere may find the dealer busy and they can't get their car looked at for some time.

There is also a large amount of work not covered by warranty, cars that do, don't do, things they expected them to, customers who don't understand how the tech' in their car works, can't pair the phone, noises, unexpected warning lights.

Lots of things that aren't faults but the customer still expects not to pay while someone looks or explains.

We do all of this goodwill work for free as we've made a (small) profit selling them the car and we appreciate their loyalty.

Go buy somewhere else and the goodwill disappears.

Go home and read the handbook or it's £70 an hour while someone tells you how to use the sat nav'.

Sadly I need to say what good will - example - both myself and my daughter bought cars from different main dealers (Skoda) and the promise was given in order to make the sale to update Sat nav on service. Following 2 services on each car neither had updated despite the written promise in the quote and when challenged denied all knowledge, when shown the quote "sorry he should not have said that and is no longer with us (in my case a blatant lie as he was in the showroom as assistant manager). Upshot was they want £200 (yes two hundred pounds) per car for 10 minutes work inserting an SD card and pressing a couple of buttons. This a job I could do but both the dealer and Skoda refuse to sell the SD card.

If this is what you get from dealers give me Amazon

Sadly I need to say what good will - example - both myself and my daughter bought cars from different main dealers (Skoda) and the promise was given in order to make the sale to update Sat nav on service. Following 2 services on each car neither had updated despite the written promise in the quote and when challenged denied all knowledge, when shown the quote "sorry he should not have said that and is no longer with us (in my case a blatant lie as he was in the showroom as assistant manager). Upshot was they want £200 (yes two hundred pounds) per car for 10 minutes work inserting an SD card and pressing a couple of buttons. This a job I could do but both the dealer and Skoda refuse to sell the SD card.

If this is what you get from dealers give me Amazon

Think you can update the maps yourself, you don't need a sd card from the dealer, I did mine on a Jeep, it was fairly easy......http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

Edited by old'un

hello, are you enjoying your stay in the USA Lloyd 90?

Very much so thank you :)

Have had some fun at the gun range and seeing some sights! Loads of pictures so I will put some up when I get home!

It's a cool place, although a little odd for some things. Never as good as home ;)

Edited by Lloyd90