Fly Line

wymberley

Been spending too much of my pensions recently so erred on the side of caution and got the floating version but in 8 of the sinking 7 that I get on with. Fingers crossed.

Oops! Far too heavy and far too long for the spool. However, not a total loss as I think I can do something with it for my step-son's rod. We picked up a lovely Partridge when they were being sold off when the firm was sold - should have got myself one. Took the other advice and the Barrio is on the way.

Where do you live? Greys of Alnwick have a casting pool where you can try their rods and line. I'm sure they must have them elsewhere in the country.

I've taken a liking to the 11ft rods I inherented from my grandad, they seem to be easier to get the line out with less casts.

If you are wanting to improve your cast you could try a sink tip to see how you get on, the weight at the end seems to help throwing the line out

Distance is not the problem I have. What is, is the line looking like Nora Batty's stockings on the water even though I 'check it' before full stretch. The Barrio has arrived, it's topped and tailed and on the reel. Going to nip up to the local reservoir when it cools down and give it a go. I have to say it looks good, is smooth and even, slimmer than the Orvis with no lumps and is very supple.

I only use the line tray for the sea.

• 2 weeks later...

I feared as much! I have many Hardy rods from Palakona cane to carbon fibre, all made in the UK.........I will never buy another new Hardy rod unless it's made by Hardy in the U.K.!......foreign made rubbish!.........you just buying the name!

Seems I'm destined to buy rubbish.

Long story, but I tried a rod which was suggested to me (length and rating, not make) while under the wing of a very experienced fisherman. He'd spotted my problem and the rod was his suggested cure. What a difference! I'm now very happily sorted. He'd told me not to look closely at it, just use it which I duly did/didn't. When done, I did then look and promptly bought one (thanks, Uttings) and have tried it with the Barrio line - perfect. Just been looking at it while putting my name/phone no. in the 'window' in the case and found a little label on the bottom of the butt.

Snowbee Prestige - made in Korea according to said label.

Seems I'm destined to buy rubbish.

Long story, but I tried a rod which was suggested to me (length and rating, not make) while under the wing of a very experienced fisherman. He'd spotted my problem and the rod was his suggested cure. What a difference! I'm now very happily sorted. He'd told me not to look closely at it, just use it which I duly did/didn't. When done, I did then look and promptly bought one (thanks, Uttings) and have tried it with the Barrio line - perfect. Just been looking at it while putting my name/phone no. in the 'window' in the case and found a little label on the bottom of the butt.

Snowbee Prestige - made in Korea according to said label.

Don't worry about it, many top brands now have there products manufactured in the far east. Sage and Guideline are made in the U.S.A. to name but a few.