Barrel up or down?

VULTURE

I don't think there's a right or wrong method; just personal preference.

I always prefer to carry mine on the right shoulder muzzle down; it is simplicity itself to quickly bring the gun to hand when needed by grabbing the fore end and twisting. The sling just drops off the shoulder and the rifle is swung into position.

I've always carried mine slung under arm with the barrel pointing forward. Some protection from rain by the forearm if required and easy to just roll it over onto the stick and 'BANG'.

The only time I would not carry it like that is if I was being guided of course. The barrel would then be toward the sky and not the guides back.

Barrel up for me right shoulder, after crouching down to get under a low branch with the barrel down I stuck the muzzle into the ground, took a while to clear looking for a suitable stick to clear the mud. Lesson learned the hard way.

Edited by figgy

It doesn't matter which way, barrel awareness is more important.

I carry left shoulder with barrel down when on my own. Held in front slightly when in company.

Stalking friends all carry right shoulder with muzzle up and walk on my right side.

Another with barrel underarm and barrle farward, euro style.

Barrel awareness more than anything is more important

The main reason that I like to carry muzzle up is ,if it rains I put a piece of masking tape over the muzzle end to stop the rain getting into the barrel . Any water then runs down the barrel and the bolt housing and out the bottom of the carrier and not down the barrel . Carried muzzle down in the rain can allow water to ingress into the bolt housing and into the barrel and chamber . The piece of tape don't need to taken off the barrel and you can shoot through it .

Harnser

The main reason that I like to carry muzzle up is ,if it rains I put a piece of masking tape over the muzzle end to stop the rain getting into the barrel . Any water then runs down the barrel and the bolt housing and out the bottom of the carrier and not down the barrel . Carried muzzle down in the rain can allow water to ingress into the bolt housing and into the barrel and chamber . The piece of tape don't need to taken off the barrel and you can shoot through it .

Harnser

So you carry tape with you?

It really is down to personal preference; there is no right or wrong way.

Edited by Scully

Harnser

Wouldn't a finger off a rubber glove or a condom not work better 😁