Vermin hit list.

Hi all,

Don't know if this has been done before. What are your priorities vermin wise for a lowland gamekeeper?

I know this list will change depending on what time of year/location and weather etc.

To get things started at this time of year with number 1 being top of the hit list, bearing in mind egg and chick theifs:

1. Magpie

2.Squirrel (could swap places with crow, but an under estimated chick taker imo)

3. Crow

4.Fox

5.Jay

6. Rats (grain from hoppers, if all year feeding)

Just trying to get my priorities right and wondered what others are doing.

Thanks.

Fox top for me, especially now and after harvest, hopefully trim a few up before the pheasants and partridge go out. Then squirrels/rats, if for no other reason than they wreck feeders for fun! Then crows and magpies

Edited by kennett

Really depends if ur a wild bird shoot or not? And will also depend on the shoots habitat too, wot poirities are

They more u can kill of an of them will make a difference to local breeding birds thou. wether that makes any difference to ur season could be dabatable thou

For released birds the only thing that will really make a difference is foxes and very occasionally stoats.

If u have cover crops then i dare say pigeon, rabbits or crows could do some damage.

U spek to a decent wild bird/grouse keeper and they all will be getting hammered, but esp ur magpies, corbies and stoats (often very few foxes)

Really u shoud just do wot ur time allows but the more the better for wildlfie in general

i look after a piece that is wild birds, on arable land.

at this time of year corvids due to nests, and chicks, due to the fact of hardly any bare land,

Once barley starts to be harvested foxes as corvids no longer a threat at this stage, best I can do with limited time, but as per they all get it if they cross my path.

So crows are a big concern all spring and summer for keepers ??

Best time to control corvids is May-June-July when the birds are just off the nest and not very bright(this is especially true for Jackies) as the months pass and they get more intelegent they become harder to shoot :good: BB

My all time record bag for 2 of us was just over 500 birds in an afternoon :yes: many years ago and never come anywhere close to that,but we all live in hope. :good:

Edited by Bluebarrels

So crows are a big concern all spring and summer for keepers ??

as said before depends on situation when you say keepers, wild bird shoots yes, released birds they are below fox as birds are released past crow damage age. .