Ultrasonic cleaner help

Hello all, i got an ultrasonic cleaner today and had a go i used 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water with a couple drops of washing liquid the brass came out after 30mins looking ok but not gleaming, i rinsed in water with bicarbonate soda then put in the oven on 150 to dry out for 15 mins now the brass has a red tinge to it. So 2 questions is the brass still safe, is there a better home made concoction for cleaning the brass. Cheers

The red/pink tinge is areas of brass where the acid has leeched the zinc out of the brass alloy , You have only done it once so it should only be a surface staining and will polish out .

I use a mild citric acid mix for 15 min then a rinse in boiling water to help with the drying process but beware of using to strong a mix as I left a citric mix in my cleaner for 3 weeks and it ate a line of pinholes in the allegedly stainless tank :oops::oops::oops: .

I use Birchwood Casey brass cleaner. Used with my ultrasonic cleaner, it cleans the brass very good. After cleaning, I rinse the brass in cold water then dry it in the oven that has been 'warmed up' first.

Started using this myself it's good stuff for the money :)

I was just always under the impression that ultrasonic got the brass gleaming, and far cleaner than a tumbler, ive seen posts about this but that brass after 2 15min cycles came out clean ish but not shining

I find that my ultrasonic cleaner is better for cleaning inside the cases. It does clean the outside but the cases are not gleaming. I use my tumbler if I want the brass to shine.

As above, ultrasonics will shift burnt powder residue etc. but not polish.

Usual mix for an US clean would be warm/hot water, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid and a squirt of washing up liquid.

If you don't have an ultrasonic then stick the cases into a pair of old socks, tie the ends with an elastic band and run them through the washing machine on a 20-40min quick wash, but remember to turn off the spin cycle!.

Birchwood Casey Brass cleaner is an excellent product, which I have been using for the past 30+ years. A small bottle makes up to 2 gallons.

I usually heat some up in the Microwave them soak the cases for approx 10-15 minutes. Then I use the ultrasonic cleaner. I'm not too bothered about the cases, being shiny, as long the inside is clean. As mentioned, if I want them shiny, I put them through the tumbler afterwards.

Recently purchased a semi auto shotgun made in 1908 and by the look of it that was the last time someone cleaned it.

Any recommendations on what solution to use to clean the old oil, grease and general grime without affecting the finish on the metal?

There is no rust visible on the shotgun. Are there any solutions that you don't have to dilute with water as I do not want to take any chances of causing rust where I cannot see it.

Recently purchased a semi auto shotgun made in 1908 and by the look of it that was the last time someone cleaned it.

Any recommendations on what solution to use to clean the old oil, grease and general grime without affecting the finish on the metal?

There is no rust visible on the shotgun. Are there any solutions that you don't have to dilute with water as I do not want to take any chances of causing rust where I cannot see it.

Hoppes 009 solvent is designed to remove copper fouling, so will certainly remove any oil and crud. There are many other good makes out there which will also do the job well.

Would petrol and a paint brush not do, I used that method on an old Remmy 1100 some years back and it cleaned up really well.

• 2 weeks later...

I cleaned an old semi action in white spirit. Didn't rust as far as I could tell! Still worked afterwards, and cycled much better too.