Beretta 686e chokes

roadkill

I am really struggling as to which chokes i use and which barrel i put them in and which barrel i fire first . Please can someone point me in the right direction and explain a little about chokes and which barrel they should be in ?

The chokes i have are marked by stars

(****)

(***)

(**)

(*)

( )

I am really struggling as to which chokes i use and which barrel i put them in and which barrel i fire first . Please can someone point me in the right direction and explain a little about chokes and which barrel they should be in ?

(****)

(***)

(**)

(*)

( )

If im right it should be

(****) Full

(***) 3/4

(**) 1/2

(*) 1/4

( ) Cyl

Im not totally sure because i dont have a MC gun

If you are using an o/u its most likely that the bottom barrel will fire first, the bottom barrel wants to be more open than the thp barrel.

I would suggest to have 1/4 in the bottom barrel and 1/2 in the top

(****)

(***)

(**)

(*)

( )

If im right it should be

(****) Full

(***) 3/4

(**) 1/2

(*) 1/4

( ) Cyl

If you are using an o/u its most likely that the bottom barrel will fire first, the bottom barrel wants to be more open than the thp barrel.

So the bottom barrel shoud fire first :stupid:

at the minute then it has full in the top barrel and 3/4 in the bottom where is it set up like that :good:

what kind of shooting would that set up be an advantage for :stupid:

If you can select barrels then sometimes it is an advantage shooting top first.

The whole advantage having MC and Selective Trigger makes more sense.

Stand in front of 5 pairs, close crosser then far crosser, all fine having 1/4 then 1/2.

Move to another stand and it's a far crosser then a going away! Change chokes or switch barrels? :stupid:

Another way of considering it is that chokes will just make you miss until you can shoot, at which point you will simply make informed excuses for missing simple shots :stupid:

Stand in front of 5 pairs, close crosser then far crosser, all fine having 1/4 then 1/2.

Move to another stand and it's a far crosser then a going away! Change chokes or switch barrels? :good:

Another way of considering it is that chokes will just make you miss until you can shoot, at which point you will simply make informed excuses for missing simple shots :good:

if im reading this right if i had my top barrel with 1/2 and my bottom a 1/4 then i would use the 1/4 and if i miss then i would use the 1/2 as the shot is more spred out but would the 1/4 go further :stupid::stupid:

god im lost with this chocke stuff

(****)

(***)

(**)

(*)

( )

If im right it should be

(****) Full

(***) 3/4

(**) 1/2

(*) 1/4

( ) Cyl

So the bottom barrel shoud fire first :good:

at the minute then it has full in the top barrel and 3/4 in the bottom where is it set up like that :D

those type of chokes 3/4 in the bottom and full in the top are set up for trap shooting......

and yes in most cases the bottom barrel should fire first.....

what type of shooting are you doing?

Move to another stand and it's a far crosser then a going away! Change chokes or switch barrels? :)

Another way of considering it is that chokes will just make you miss until you can shoot, at which point you will simply make informed excuses for missing simple shots :lol:

if im reading this right if i had my top barrel with 1/2 and my bottom a 1/4 then i would use the 1/4 and if i miss then i would use the 1/2 as the shot is more spred out but would the 1/4 go further :stupid::good:

the 1/4 barrel would fire first giving a more open pattern followed by the 1/2 choke which would give a slightly tighter pattern for a bit more distance

(****)

(***)

(**)

(*)

( )

If im right it should be

(****) Full

(***) 3/4

(**) 1/2

(*) 1/4

( ) Cyl

So the bottom barrel shoud fire first :good:

at the minute then it has full in the top barrel and 3/4 in the bottom where is it set up like that :D

those type of chokes 3/4 in the bottom and full in the top are set up for trap shooting......

and yes in most cases the bottom barrel should fire first.....

what type of shooting are you doing?

Move to another stand and it's a far crosser then a going away! Change chokes or switch barrels? :)

Another way of considering it is that chokes will just make you miss until you can shoot, at which point you will simply make informed excuses for missing simple shots :lol:

if im reading this right if i had my top barrel with 1/2 and my bottom a 1/4 then i would use the 1/4 and if i miss then i would use the 1/2 as the shot is more spred out but would the 1/4 go further :stupid::good:

the 1/4 barrel would fire first giving a more open pattern followed by the 1/2 choke which would give a slightly tighter pattern for a bit more distance

rough shooting ( rabbits crows and the odd pigeons ) and clay shooting ( sporting )

I think you've got them the wrong way round. These are Beretta chokes yes?

Full has one star, going down to 1/4 with ****. Skeet has none and ***** is cylinder. I use 1/4 & 1/2 mainly so I have **** (4 notches) in the lower barrel and 3 in the upper.

The names are etched onto the sides of the chokes too in the american naming system, english is as below

F = Full

IM = Improved Modified = 3/4

M = Modified = 1/2

IC = Improved = 1/4

C = Cylinder = OPEN

SK = Skeet = Skeet (open+ about 0.005")

post-3915-1181298797.jpg

pin, i think your supposed to fire bottom first, i belive it has something to do with less muzzle flip, although some times for long shots its best to use the tight choke (top) first. thats why many ported sporter guns have more holes in the bottom to allow less muzzle flip where as on the secound and top barrel its not really going to make a difference.

I think you've got them the wrong way round. These are Beretta chokes yes?

Full has one star, going down to 1/4 with ****. Skeet has none and ***** is cylinder. I use 1/4 & 1/2 mainly so I have **** (4 notches) in the lower barrel and 3 in the upper.

The names are etched onto the sides of the chokes too in the american naming system, english is as below

F = Full

IM = Improved Modified = 3/4

M = Modified = 1/2

IC = Improved = 1/4

C = Cylinder = OPEN

SK = Skeet = Skeet (open+ about 0.005")

post-3915-1181298797.jpg

cant believe it can be this confusing :stupid:

so what should be in the top barrel and what should be in the bottom :stupid:

also which one is to fire first

A copy out of my old Beretta handbook about the chokes, they have notches as identification. Regarding barell selection, I was always told to fire bottome barell first, I use to have 1/4 in the bottom and 1/2 in the top and the selector switch from memory was 1 red dot for bottom barell first, 2 red dots for top barell first, hope it helps.

I DID POST AN IMAGE HERE BUT IT SEEMS TO OF DISSAPEARED OR SOMEONE DELETED IT .............. ANY REASON WHY GUYS?

Link again on my server space http://www.a1cooling.co.uk/beretta.htm

if its sporting shooting at clays then 1/4 in the bottom and 1/2 in the top will suffice unless of course you have 2 1/4 chokes which is what i use for my sporting shooting unless they are distant targets....in which case you need to tighten up a bit...

vermin shooting i use an auto in which i use 1/2 choke for just about everything.....

it works for me and might not work for everyone.... :good:

if its sporting shooting at clays then 1/4 in the bottom and 1/2 in the top will suffice unless of course you have 2 1/4 chokes which is what i use for my sporting shooting unless they are distant targets....in which case you need to tighten up a bit...

vermin shooting i use an auto in which i use 1/2 choke for just about everything.....

it works for me and might not work for everyone.... :blush:

RIGHT that is how my gun is now set up now could you please explain what these chokes do open 1/4 1/2 just so it gives me an idear when i might need to change .....

so if i have a 1/4 and a 1/2 i take it one will fire further than the other and the pattern will be tighter but which one ?

RIGHT that is how my gun is now set up now could you please explain what these chokes do open 1/4 1/2 just so it gives me an idear when i might need to change .....

so if i have a 1/4 and a 1/2 i take it one will fire further than the other and the pattern will be tighter but which one ?

All you need to remember is that chokes cause constriction, the more constriction, the further the distance, and smaller the diameter of the shot pattern. Imagine a hose pipe with different size nozzles, so...

------

no constriction (ie. open)

------

-----------

some constriction (ie. 1/2)

-----------

-----------------

----------------- lots of constriction (ie. full)

So, 1/2 will fire further than open, but have a smaller 'killing zone'. Full will fire further than 1/2 but have a smaller 'killing zone'.

I spose you can also go into the fact that shot patterns are 3d objects and all that. Also, as the constriction gets tighter, the shot pattern gets smaller, but you still have the same amount of lead, so you also have a denser pattern.

The advice I was given was 1/4 in the bottom, 1/2 in the top, and put the rest away, if you start worrying about choke selection your mind won't fully be on your shooting, and you'll start to utter the fateful words "wasn't me, the gun is choked wrong".

All you need to remember is that chokes cause constriction, the more constriction, the further the distance, and smaller the diameter of the shot pattern. Imagine a hose pipe with different size nozzles, so...

------

------

-----------

-----------

-----------------

So, 1/2 will fire further than open, but have a smaller 'killing zone'. Full will fire further than 1/2 but have a smaller 'killing zone'.

I spose you can also go into the fact that shot patterns are 3d objects and all that. Also, as the constriction gets tighter, the shot pattern gets smaller, but you still have the same amount of lead, so you also have a denser pattern.

The advice I was given was 1/4 in the bottom, 1/2 in the top, and put the rest away, if you start worrying about choke selection your mind won't fully be on your shooting, and you'll start to utter the fateful words "wasn't me, the gun is choked wrong".

The advice you were given was good ;)

------

------

-----------

-----------

-----------------

but if im reading this right then your bottom chocke fires further then your top chocke shouldnt that be the other way round ?

as if you missed with your first shot then you might need the distance to fire with the second?;)

------

------

-----------

-----------

-----------------

but if im reading this right then your bottom chocke fires further then your top chocke shouldnt that be the other way round ?

as if you missed with your first shot then you might need the distance to fire with the second?;)

No, the bottom is choked less (1/4 opposed to 1/2), so has less constriction, so has a shorter distance and wider diameter of pattern.

Open - No constriction

1/4 - more constriction

1/2 - more constriction still

3/4 - even more constriction

full - lots of constriction

Open

-----------

-----------

1/4

--------------------

--------------------

1/2

-------------------------------------

-------------------------------------

3/4

--------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

Full

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------