Cut down my Mossberg Barrel

Wingman

After much research and advice from PW, I decided to take the plunge and trim my 30" full choke Mossberg 500 barrel to a more useful 25". Obviously it now has no choke but I was happy with how it came out cosmetically, I followed the advice on a US site to use a foam sanding block to finish the muzzle it came out great and looks "crowned" nearly like it did originally. I then gave it a full sanding down, and finished it with the dreaded cold blue (tetra gun blue), it looks great now but I expect it wont last that long.

post-76330-0-08904700-1497625938_thumb.jpg

So today with a couple of hours spare I headed down to AGL for a quick 50 bird try out. I have to say I am very happy with the result. The gun swings better and feel lively (as much as a 25 year old pump can) and I was breaking clays with no problem at all. Icing on the cake was on a stand with a high driven and L/R midi crosser which had confounded me last week with my Perazzi. I managed to hit a good few on this challenging (to me anyway) stand, so very happy.

Now I am not recommending you do this but it worked well for me and I am very happy with the results. I'll be out in the morning on the decoys and will certainly be taking the Mossberg with me!

Also makes me realise that for my rather low level of shooting skill this choke lark is tosh!

post-76330-0-71198100-1497626027_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wingman

Hi chap, might do mine now I've seen that, where exactly did you measure the 25" from?

I took off the barrel, and placed a snap cap in the chamber. I measured three times from the back of the snap cap to the required length and to be sure I used different tape measures as I was paranoid about getting it wrong! Marked up the length wanted with a sharpie marker and went a few mm's over to compensate for filing to finish. I then slipped a metal hose clip to the line and used that as a cutting guide, I bought a new 32TPI hacksaw a quality one not a 2 quid cheapo and started to cut round the barrel using the pipe clip as a guide. I carried on going round until the hacksaw had gone through it took about 20 mins but the barrel steel is as thick as on old sewer pipe!

Once I had lobbed off the end I removed the pipe clip and secured the barrel in a padded vice. I then filed the end flat using a flat mill file (bought from Screwfix for the job) and used a carpenters square to get the angle right.

I then followed the instructions on this website http://www.rem870.com/2012/02/11/shortening-shotgun-barrel-finishing-muzzle/ to get the "crown" done, I spent about an hour on this before getting bored I reckon had I spent longer it would have come out even better but it looks great I think anyway.

After that I sanded the whole thing down and gave it a cold bluing, I used Tetra Gun Blue and it came out very nice!

Thats about it, it was a nice little project and makes a barrel that costed less that 50 quid really useful now!

Edited by Wingman

put the bead back on ?

No I didn't feel confident in getting it lined up properly, so used a stick on ruby fibre optic sight I had lying round and never used.

May get a gunsmith to put a bead back on for but not that bothered about it really.

Hi chap, might do mine now I've seen that, where exactly did you measure the 25" from?

Not sure about the snap-cap method.

I just close the action & measure fron the bolt face by inserting a steel rule or tape measures down the barrel....handy if the snap-caps aren't to hand or you don't have any!

Not sure about the snap-cap method.

I just close the action & measure fron the bolt face by inserting a steel rule or tape measures down the barrel....handy if the snap-caps aren't to hand or you don't have any!

Yep that would work just as well.

No I didn't feel confident in getting it lined up properly, so used a stick on ruby fibre optic sight I had lying round and never used.

May get a gunsmith to put a bead back on for but not that bothered about it really.

that sounds good to me...i bet it comes up a treat....good fast target location........