Two Days

muncher

I have been watching a pea field for some time and I thought it was ready to shoot, as my brother hadn't been out for a while I asked him if he would like an afternoon break to shoot some woodies. He asked his boss for the afternoon off and the next day was planned. Then I received a phone call from a farmer, any chance you could deal with these pigeons on my greens, so I said I will have a look and see what I can do. The field was one of many and I thought, I need some help with this, so I phoned Motty and asked if he could get the day off, which he did .The next morning we arrived at the field and set up with the wind on our backs ,we set up two rotary as we felt we needed as much attraction as possible. The first customer was a crow ,duly dispatched and then a slow trickle of pigeons obliged. The problem was the birds decided to land all over the field but not many to our decoys, so I was volunteered to move to another part of the crop ,I had to set up with the wind in my face behind a elderberry bush ,just the rotary and a small hide ,the pigeons came straight in and I was soon building a good bag, I rang the other hide and asked one of them to join me , my brother came and took a few before we came to the conclusion that another hide was needed further up. so of he went with my bouncer and a couple of dead birds with the intention of intersecting that flight line. I was still getting plenty of action but Motty hide was slow, so after several calls and text I persuaded Motty to joined me in my hide and we enjoyed a busy afternoon. The combined collected total was 165.

The following day I was due in work ,but I had spoken to the farmer and promised that I would deal with the pigeons ,so I asked my boss if I could take the afternoon off , which he granted . Work done I nipped home picked up 4 dead birds and my kit ,as I arrived at the field there was a decent amount of pigeons about but the wind had whipped up to quite strong , I loaded myself up and trudged across the field to the place I wanted to set up ,the dyke was not to deep so the hide was done away with and I stood in the dyke, after setting the rotary to my right hand side . The first one came in nice and confidently and was duly dealt with. The pigeons decide they wanted to feed next to the railway line and this was making it hard for me to attract the birds in and as a banger had been on the field for weeks firing shots over them made no difference. I walked them off a couple of times, but it kept happening and as I didn't fancy setting up next to the railway line I thought what can I do I have no bags or flags ,got it! I removed the farmers spinning bird scarers up to that end of the field . Bingo that worked to a fashion and I now had the birds coming in nicely ,even though they still wanted that end. I felt I needed more attraction, so I took a bouncer out and removed the extendable arm out and put that low into the strong wind , it worked a tread as the wind pushed it up and down now the pigeons came in nicely. The birds were not all easy in the strong wind. I just used my hundredth cartridge when I decided that it was time to pack up with 68 picked I was content with the afternoon fun.

i have been watching a pea field everyday since it was sown.............it is now coming into flower and a big fat ZERO on the bird front........it (the field is the only one in the area)....and has attached no interest whatsoever , on the bird front....

we have birds about...and are lazily flying up and down hedgrows...but they are not interested.............

4 years ago i was shooting 3 times/week and in each short session i could bring home 20-30 birds...............

so to you both...well done and get it while you can.. :good::good:

Motty, it looks like your tongue is well and truly up Muncher's ****.

:sick::oops::oops: .......................really JD.. :lol:....they will be calling him "toenails" next as thats all you can see sticking out......

Edited by ditchman

That was a good read about two very good sessions. :good:

You are very lucky, there seems to be very few pigeons in my area of Kent and what there are not interested in the peas.

A few on laid barley and even standing wheat, but not much else.

i was rubbing my hands the other day as loads of barley went down due to the heavy rain and wind.................then 24hrs later ...the damn stuff all stood up again.. :lol: ..pigeons hate me..

Very good report from one of N / Norfolks ( A ) Team , reading between the lines , your boss sound like a very good guy to work for , one who understands the needs of a pigeon shooter , well done that man. :good:

What stage are your Peas that you were shooting over ? , ours are in flat pods now , maybe three weeks away from vining .