Laid barley

Bigstu84

Shooting over some laid barley tomorrow. All the laid patches that the birds are feeding on are in the middle of the field. Was thinking about going really light, just keeping low on one laid patch with some floaters and a few decoys in another, no hide - what would everyone else suggest.

I use a desert net and set up with my back against the edge of a laid area if possible, a small spade is useful to scrape a hole to put your feet in, as above with picking the birds though how ever well you mark them. Also have some garden canes about 4 foot long to set decoys up on. gets them clear of the crop atb Steve

lets hope that you have a great day. I have sat in the tram line at the edge of a patch before. I took a couple of metal rods and pushed them into the earth either side of the tramline and draped a bit of net off of these down the back and it sort of made a sort of triangular hood like tent. the net gave me and the dog some cover and shade which was welcome. chucked some of the fallen barley on the net to blend it in a bit. I used a low fishing stool to sit on with a hole dug into the trameline to put my feet into. the dirt is very hard and a pig to get the rods/ sticks into. I managed to find a couple of deep cracks which helped. I sat slightly back so that the straw could be pulled across the front. I cut about six sticks and pit them about 30 paces out front to give me a range guide and a point of reference as to where the fall was. keep the shots in close so that hopefully the fall is onto the fallen stuff. it makes finding them easier and you dont have to trample more down looking for the fallen or leaving them out there. It is supposed to be hot over the weekend so dont forget to take plenty of liquid for yourself and the dog. and suncream. when I set up I thought about the sun to my back so that I wasnt looking into the sun and I was in the dark of the net.

I use a desert net and set up with my back against the edge of a laid area if possible, a small spade is useful to scrape a hole to put your feet in, as above with picking the birds though how ever well you mark them. Also have some garden canes about 4 foot long to set decoys up on. gets them clear of the crop atb Steve

I have done the same desert camo net , two foot deep hole in a tram line to put your feet in with bum on the edge short hide poles set so your gun will not drop them out of the hole. Only leave a few birds in the pattern and as they glide in drop them in the same spot so you can pick up.

Pick your birds straight away else your just lose them. Unless you got a mutt with you.

This 100%. We always go straight out and pick each bird as it's shot unless dropped on a particular flat patch you can see where it's fallen. Keep reading how people stay in the hide all day to shoot 100+ and have a pickup at the end. No way would you ever find half the bag without a dog, it's a struggle to find them going straight out sometimes when they fall in a standing patch.