How often do you use 4x4?

wildfowler.250

Gotta say I love my little Jimny. A great lamping vehicle for two of us shooting bunny`s from. :good:

I use the 4X4 all winter on shoots i go to shooting and beating, also good for getting corn to feeders etc in the winter if your careful. Its a shame it doesn't have a diff lock but still it does me very well.

As others have said a 2 am discovery that your stuck is a right PITA especially 40mile from home :oops:

I wouldn't want to be without my Jimny now or other 4x4. What is good about the small Jimny is they are easier to recover than something heavy like a defender/disco/ L200 pick-up type!

ATB

Matt :good:

They're great vehicles! I really miss mine...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like a lot of folk have a dedicated shooting vehicle. I'm assuming many on here are running 2 cars then?

Have wondered about an old banger jimny/vitara and then just use a small hatchback for the bulk of my needs. Downside is that's twice the maintenance, mot's ect.

On a slightly different note, the new vitara's look nice and fuel efficient but slow as anything which is disappointing.

Edited by wildfowler.250

3k is a lot on a normal vehicle, mine is a few times a week if we have a wet winter. I have toyed with the idea of something smaller but an l200 is ideal for me, dogs and dead things in the back. Pretty comfortable and not too bad fuel wise on the 15k or so I do a year. I would spend half the time foxing with a yeti being towed out as ruts just exclude one for me. Not that the ****** seem to get stuck in Subaru's you'd believe last winter that they would go pretty much anywhere as they certainly seemed to

• 4 weeks later...

I drive a discovery 3, it's my only vehicle so its used to commute to work 60 miles a day. My hours are 11am - 7pm so I get plenty of time to get up out shoot for watering feeding pest control as I drive past it to get to work. Best vehicle for me. Comfort on and off road and great ability regardless of terrain. I use about £90 of diesel every 8-10 days. Amazingly I'm getting around 34 mpg which is far better than I hoped for.

I've only been shooting for 6 years. Due to the length of my commute I could have a 4x4 as I thought it would cost more than I wanted to spend on fuel

Few months ago I though.. sod it. And it just so happened my dad was changing his x trail. So I had it off him. I know it's not a true 4x4, but it's my daily driver. I've got AT tyres for winter months and a pedders lift kit to go on it

I have only had it a few months but I am very happy with it.

I'm hoping I can develop it into a bit more or a off roader and a shooting bus. One problem I am finding is not many off road parts are made for it.

3k is a lot on a normal vehicle, mine is a few times a week if we have a wet winter. I have toyed with the idea of something smaller but an l200 is ideal for me, dogs and dead things in the back. Pretty comfortable and not too bad fuel wise on the 15k or so I do a year. I would spend half the time foxing with a yeti being towed out as ruts just exclude one for me. Not that the ****** seem to get stuck in Subaru's you'd believe last winter that they would go pretty much anywhere as they certainly seemed to

4 X 4 in general struggle with the huge ruts left by modern farm vehicles. I have had 3 Discos and have just bought a Yeti, it has been great off road even on road tyres.

Edited by JRDS

I've only been shooting for 6 years. Due to the length of my commute I could have a 4x4 as I thought it would cost more than I wanted to spend on fuel

Few months ago I though.. sod it. And it just so happened my dad was changing his x trail. So I had it off him. I know it's not a true 4x4, but it's my daily driver. I've got AT tyres for winter months and a pedders lift kit to go on it

I have only had it a few months but I am very happy with it.

I'm hoping I can develop it into a bit more or a off roader and a shooting bus. One problem I am finding is not many off road parts are made for it.

Tbh Xtrails not a hardy off roader, I wrote one off in April.

Front suspension components are clearly not designed to take off road abuse.