Lea McNally and Jack Charlton

iano

The good ol' days of the Shooting Times, Humphreys, Willock, Thomas, BB, McNally, et al.

I still pull up Jacks videos from my collection of VHS tapes and still great entertainment. Of course I believe what made the 243Win such a preferred round was Lea's writings in Shooting Times. There again he rarely took any other than a neck shot. He was a superb writer and shot.

In the book which followed the series, Lea recommends a lung shot and warns that for a neck shot you need to be "close enough (say 80 yards) and skilful enough....".

His words, and wise advice for most of us.

what was the name of the book? thanks

In the book which followed the series, Lea recommends a lung shot and warns that for a neck shot you need to be "close enough (say 80 yards) and skilful enough....".

His words, and wise advice for most of us.

Absolutely. Mr McNally was more than capable of petting 'em before he shot them, so 80yrds was a long way for him.

Jeez! Where did 40 years go? I can remember the jacks game series. one of the episodes was roe shooting with Richard Prior. Jack was using a stutzen style rifle. I liked the look of the rifle and bought a Mannlicher luxus stutzen in 243. In those days there were no silencers so the stutzen stock didn't make any difference. The gun has a short barrel and has quite a sharp loud report. But if it is one shot one kill it doesn't make much difference.