Crows on the Barley

We had the all clear from the Physio on Thursday following the Wifes second hip opp. She can now drive and be independant . This releases me from domestic and horse duties. So Friday morning at 08.00 farmer phones to inform me that the crows are hitting his barley. Now Friday is the day I now have my grandson to look after so we went out for a ride in the country in " Grandads Tractor" which he calls the Disco. I stopped and walked round three large fields of barley with nothing laid and the only damage is an area the size of two snooker tables with a gas gun in the centre. The crows were all on the recently cut sileage fields I spoke to the farmer and told him I would be on the cut fields on Saturday to which he replied that another shooter will be in the barns on Saturday and another on Sunday.

Arrived at the field at 07.30 and set up , not a bird on the field but all in the barns, so I thought that the other shooter will help each other. Due to the walk across the field to set up I only had two dead birds to start. I managed to call birds to me and each shot moved the birds in the barns so they would then fly over me and decoy. The first priority was to get the hide in the shade with a nice cooling wind passing through, being off for eight weeks I was not match fit and I was knackerd by the end of the day as I had to keep climbing over the fence in front of the hide to retrieve birds to keep the pattern tight. I packed up at 16.00 when my flask was empty and counted up the birds which totalled one hundred and four corvids and one pigeon. The walk back to the Disco was evil and the temp inside was 29 Degrees. Its great to be back.

a1238cba-7706-406b-820f-0714c6b70d70_zps

5af52ee2-dd0d-4b0d-9741-384250a58d2d_zps

Good to see you back , apart from getting the odd Crow to put on sticks , I no longer shoot any large amounts of Corvids but I know it is still an achievement to shoot a three figure bag by yourself alone in the hide , take in account your lay off and not being match fit I for one think you done well.,,,,,,,,, very well in fact.