Blow Flies

It's just nature. Flies will find a dead carcase in less than the time it takes for you to walk out and pick up the bird. Lay birds on their backs and in the shade. Don't just chuck them in a lump in a sack especially a plastic one because they won't cool and they will go green and stink. have a look at the birds as soon as possible when you get home and check for fly eggs around the beak, in the armpit area of the wing and any shot / wound area. If there are any it is easy to remove them. Put the birds in feather in the freezer whole or pluck and dress them if you have the time. Don't leave it until tomorrow in this heat because they will be rot and stinky and you will end up dumping them.

i have a few large sacks that usually only get used on the stubbles when im shooting bigger numbers of birds , a couple of them are hessian sacks and a couple of them are post office sacks , i collects shot birds regularly throughout the day , i lay them breast up in the sacks (in the hide) , and sprinkle the sacks with water from frozen two litre bottles. its a bit of a pain , but i hate to waste pigeons , or any other game that i shoot. the birds that have been sitting in cradles all day(and very hard hit birds) , will be collected , and dropped off at fox baiting spots .

i try to waste as little as possible , after ive de breasted the birds , the carcasses are taken to my mate for dog/ferret food , i try to do this with any game that i take . i know that its not the way that everyone chooses to do things(each to their own) , and it can be a real pain at times , but it feels like the right thing for me to do.

lay them near an ants nest. ants love fly eggs.

Got me wondering, if you put a pigeon with fly eggs on it down by an ants nest are they going to clean the eggs off then?

Really don't like flies especially if you've left the fridge open a bit in summer and they have a party in there ☹

I should have said dogs/ferret fridge

Edited by Mice!

Got me wondering, if you put a pigeon with fly eggs on it down by an ants nest are they going to clean the eggs off then?

Really don't like flies especially if you've left the fridge open a bit in summer and they have a party in there ☹

I should have said dogs/ferret fridge

Yes they will. Years ago I shot around 50 pigeons on a very hot summer Saturday I was too late to get them to the game dealer and they were badly fly blown so I took them home intending to breast them but we were going out that night so I laid them in my shed, went out and the drink was flowing so I was late up on Sunday and forgot about them until late that evening I opened the door expecting the worse but they were clean not one egg or maggot. The shed had an ants nest under the wooden floor and they had removed every one of them.

Large Carp sacks in the shade work for me , picking up every ten shot and LAYING them in the sack so they are separate and manage to cool.

As a footnote , I carry five large Carp Sacks all summer this allows at least 100 birds to be left in the cool shade with the wind cooling them at any one time. As I process in the garage at home make a full inspection for fly blow before freezing.

Edited by pigeon controller