.223 moderator

Rst1990

Hi all, im after a 223 sound moderator for my tikka t3x.

I've searched the forum and have got lots of views on different types, and it seems that all the old posts that I have found the majority have suggested the wildcat predator 8.

So settled on this, until I see a video on YouTube which suggested that the bigger predator 12 was a lot better in terms of sound moderation than the p8.

I searched the forum again and not one post has been made about the predator 12 (that I can find)

So my question still remains the same really.... what mod ???

Thanks in advance

I use a Swift Nightingale. Granted it's not a lifetime purchase as it's made of alloy. Especially if your regularly on a range. But i've used one varmint shooting on my .223 for 5 years now. A little bit of wear in the first baffle, but bar that it's great. Light weight to.

I've always heard good things about the Wild cat's to, to be fair...

Edited by jam1e

I have a wildcat compact on my 223 well recommended..

Have the dpt on my 308 and 6.6x55 have started to use the dpt 6.5 mod on my 223 so the compact does not get used as much now.. ( both rifles are Tikka's so threads are the same..

Edited by hawkeye

• 1 month later...

To follow up from my post to maybe help others, I went ahead and purchased a wildcat predator 12 for my tikka t3x totally against the grain of what others have purchased as it's heavier and longer than most mods, but by hell does it moderate the sound well, it's strange as it's quieter than my 17hmr ??? Even my friend said the same, he's now putting in for a variation to get one lol.

Get what you like but a Predator 12 is a monster on a .233. I've never actually heard one but I guess it may be a fraction quieter than a P8.

Just the same I use the Predator P8 COMPACT on my .223, .243 and .308, they work for me, and don't forget to get Calibre specific size!

post-20848-0-47976800-1500881355_thumb.jpg

Edit

The tube below the Mod at the top is the tube from a P8, just to illustrate the difference in length.

Can you post a picture of the P12 on your .223, I'm curious, cheers!

Edited by Dekers

Wonderful thing about the Wildcats is their modular construction so go ahead with the twelve, then buy a sleeve and tube to convert to an eight if it's too much.

.................or a sleeve and tube to convert to a COMPACT! :good:

Just possible you may need a new bush as well depending on barrel shape!

Get what you like but a Predator 12 is a monster on a .233. I've never actually heard one but I guess it may be a fraction quieter than a P8.

Just the same I use the Predator P8 COMPACT on my .223, .243 and .308, they work for me, and don't forget to get Calibre specific size!

CentrefireGroupx.jpg

Edit

The tube below the Mod at the top is the tube from a P8, just to illustrate the difference in length.

Can you post a picture of the P12 on your .223, I'm curious, cheers!

The predator 12 is 30mm longer than the p8 there isn't a lot in them same 50mm outside dimension.

I went with the steyr tube length at 150mm was thinking about the compact at 112mm length but wanted abit more tube length. I will take a pic for you.

The goal was ultimate moderation a centre fire that is quieter than a rimfire lol

Wonderful thing about the Wildcats is their modular construction so go ahead with the twelve, then buy a sleeve and tube to convert to an eight if it's too much.

Think I'll leave it as it is, the weight is fine for me and balances out quite well with my hawke side winder which is a heavy scope, all of my rifles are heavy varmint barrel apart from this one, one thing I do not like is a light weight rifle, I find I wander with a light weight than I do a heavy weighted rifle, perhaps in years to come I may change my mind when age creeps in lol