beginners guide to crow

ips

I need to find out as much as possible about the best way to shoot crow off cover crop.

How and were to set hide

How and were to set decoys

Best load and shot size

Etc etc etc

Anything info however obvious it may sound to the experienced amongst you is gratefully received.

The key and most important thing when corvid shooting is a good hide without this you will be ******* into the wind.

Make a good hide and use a top net,limit movement until you move to take the shot.

Make your hide anywhere you know the birds are feeding or flightline to roost etc.No hard and fast rule on location but make sure you don't silhouette yourself in the hide.
(against a hedge,side of wood,middle of field)

Decoys I generally place about 20 -30 yards in front of the hide and leave an area clear to try and get them to land there.
(have a look in sporting pics at PC's Crows on the Barley post,his decoy pattern will give you an idea)

a flapper is also useful on corvids,or a floate/bouncer in the pattern also adds some movement

I use all shells on corvids,but generally a 28g first barrel(incoming bird) and 30g/32g in second barrel( going away bird) this is just to use up 28g loads left from the odd clay shoot but keep the ranges sensible and they are very effective.

Have a look at Correx crow socks/decoys in craft/diy section before you splash out on FB decoys,these correx decoys are the business and unlike FB decoys add movement to your pattern.

Plenty of corvid shooters on here so if you need advice just ask :good: between us we could have the answer,BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

Is the rookery not on the keepers land mate? Will be noisy so ear plugs are a good idea but an evening or two roost shooting should put a good dent in them, otherwise above still counts.

Be in position early if they see you moving about they'll give you a wide birth

Can't you put a post in the permissions sub-forum?

May get an experienced shot that would be grateful for the opportunity to shoot and show you the ropes at the same time? That's what i'll be doing with a permission I'm 90% sure I've secured when my shotgun certificate comes through!

Both get something out of it that way and a happy farmer!

Guest stevo

What is max effective range for rook with 30g 6s through 1/2 choke ?

That mucker would depend on how competent you are with your gun. But in my opinion shots want to be kept inside 45 - 50 yards max. Any shots over will tend to have more luck than judgement and so on the further you go out. And then it start to get a bit unsporting.

Just place a decoy out at 40 yards from your hide so that way you have a point of reference. And just keep you shots inside that your be fine. Personally I would tighten up a tad maybe try 3/4 choke and see how you get on.

Edited by stevo

That mucker would depend on how competent you are with your gun. But in my opinion shots want to be kept inside 45 - 50 yards max. Any shots over will tend to have more luck than judgement and so on the further you go out. And then it start to get a bit unsporting.

Just place a decoy out at 40 yards from your hide so that way you have a point of reference. And just keep you shots inside that your be fine. Personally I would tighten up a tad maybe try 3/4 choke and see how you get on.

Thanks that pretty much confirmed what I thought, was just checking what the "rule of thumb" was as I know certain species are harder to kill than others. Yes I wasn't totally convinced with 1/2 will bang a 3/4.

Cheers mate

Can't you put a post in the permissions sub-forum?

May get an experienced shot that would be grateful for the opportunity to shoot and show you the ropes at the same time? That's what i'll be doing with a permission I'm 90% sure I've secured when my shotgun certificate comes through!

Both get something out of it that way and a happy farmer!

Its a good idea my friend but its a private estate and I would not be allowed to take anyone else on there.

Is there a best time of day for decoying rook ?

Is there a favourable weather condition ?

I set up the evening before and get in place by 3.30am the first few hours are normally frantic.

I should say " at this time of the year"

Edited by bornfree