Pyreneese off road adventure 4x4

scraggoak

I have just returned from 15 days transversing the Pyreneese mountains. i was driving a landrover 110 and my brother in law was using his Isuzu trooper, We had a fantastic time the trip at times was really hard going driving over deep gullies large boulders where low range an diff lock was the order of the day, the isuzu suffered with lack of ground clearance, the nearside window fell out and his seat collapsed with the constant pounding, the 110 suffered steering failure due to a garage fitting a jubilee clip on the pressure side of the steering pump which luckily failed just as we pulled into a car park in a busy town, i shudder to think what might have happened on the mountain, also due to the pounding the battery holder worked loose and eventually the positive terminal of the battery snapped off, luckily the isuzu had twin batteries so we nicked one and was back on the road in np time at all.

This trip is for serious 4x4 vehicles my Xtrail could not have coped with the terrain and you do need low range, the weather was on our side which made the going easier, had it been wet we would have struggled on some of the trails. The Scenery was stunning and varied, if any of you have ever thought of doing the trip go for its a wonderful experience, We saw Marmots, Egyptian Eagles, and Mouflon along the way,

Edited by scraggoak

Hi Mungler it would have been good for a group of lads, but mine was with the wife and our 12 year old Cocker Spaniel, in fact he was the star of the trip, he slept through most of the rough stuff and the heat seemed to have no effect on him, as soon as the engine started he jumped in the back ready for the next leg,

Hi thanks for sharing. Could you share your route and a few pictures to highlight points of interest please. A massive road trip has always been on my to-do list but I've never got round to it for various reasons. Best I've managed is 800 miles in the uk over a week. I've just ordered a copy of Pekin to Paris to sate my need to automotive adventure.

• 2 weeks later...

We done the Pyrenees as we came back into France from Spain after a fortnight of overlanding in Portugal and Spain, with 2 landys and my landcrusier 80.... It was fantastic , we didn't know any routes on the Pyrenees so we were limited as to where we thought we could go and it was a change in the route back to blights for us so we hadn't made plans for this part of the trip.

It was fantastic though, since we came back we all agreed that a overland trip is to be organised with the Pyrenees being the priority location though we all want to go back to Portugal again as the overlanding there was fantastic so the Pyrenees has Ben put on the back burner until we find some decent routes.

Done a few overlanding trips now and it's very addictive I am dragging our lass back to Portugal in August though we will only be doing the "farm tracks" as we will take the navara as I haven't time to sort out the crusier,and I don't think it would be as capable as the cruiser, my mate who co drove with me went out immeadeatly on returning to the uk and bought him self a landcruiser and will be over there in August and another of the guys who was with us has booked a overlanding trip with a company that run these and he will be over here..... Hopefully we can all meet up somewhhere off the beaten track and have a few beers under a un light polluted starlite sky.....

We have even discussed Norcap (most northerly part of Europe) though it would be a extreme trip as we want to do it in winter!!!!!

I reckon if you have a 4x4 and think its reliable go for two or three weeks overlanding.......... It's the best holiday you will ever have

I am addicted to it