Taking a shotgun to the Orkneys

Wingman

Hi All

I realise this has been probably covered before but I wanted to get some up to date views and advice.

We have some friends that have a smallholding on Orkney and he has invited us to go up this summer. He is a keen shooter and has shooting rights over his land and also a couple of clay traps set up. So I want to take one of my guns up with me on the plane, which will be London to Aberdeen and then a short hop over to the island.

What is the legal position on doing this as its still part of the UK? I realise I'll need to inform the airline and check it in but does it need a special type of case or would the standard (Perazzi) hard case suffice?

I guess what I am most worried about is the baggage handlers opening it or throwing it around. I recently returned from a trip to Germany and my case was absolutely battered when it came off the plane..

Any tips?

Edited by Wingman

choose the airline you fly with and call them.

You'll need a lockable case, shotgun license and efp. Even when flying to Scotland mainland I get asked for my efp.

It may be cheaper and easier to send it rfd to rfd on the Island

Thank you, but whats an EFP?

Edited by Wingman

When I went to the Orkneys wildfowling I took the car over on the ferry Scrabster to Stromness. Some time ago now. A friend flew over - as far as I remember his gun was just in a hard case. Ammunition was provided locally by our host. (It was actually pre non toxic days).

Is that needed for travel in the UK?

Yes.

It's also needed if your travelling to Wales, come to think of it- I'm sure you need one when travelling outside of your own Forces area......

Don't be so daft, I truely hope the EFP reply was meant as a joke..

Edited by Jaymo

Dodeer--- me too

May I suggest there is possibly confusion on a geographical level to the person posing the question, or possibly it's something that Police Scotland have imposed?

Standing by to eat a slice of humble pie

Edited by Jaymo

I have been to Scotland stalking and game shooting for the past 50 years, even bought guns there and the last time I went they were still part of the UK, still subject to the UK firearms act and still issuing UK firearms and shotgun certificates.

Heaven only knows what fool asked dodeer for an EFP, at that rate I'll need one when I next visit Cornwall !!