That old cherry again........pellets

Evil Elvis

:stupid: i was out shooting all day yesterday and my daystate x2 goes well with 16g penetrators in it, the first few bunnies just rolled over, but then i shot one at about 30-35 yards that bounced round for at least 3 minutes!!!! I know you will always get one or 2 that do this. On examination, the pellet placement was 1cm above and 1cm behind the eye, there was an entry and an exit wound.Correct me if im wrong but isnt that bang on the money?

I was wondering if thay penerate too well and if a lighter pellet might be more effective by flattenning out and causing more trauma rather than going straight through? Opinions? Ihave used used bisley magnums to great effect but find thay do the same, whistle through!!! :stupid:

used these in the SS410 to good effect on bunnies

Logun Penetrator.

The No Lead Logun Penetrators.

Bullet shaped design makes it supremely accurate.

In field tests it outperformed all rival lead pellets by a margin of up to 15.7%.

Penetrators are manufactured in England on advanced CNC machinery.

This ensuring that each and every pellet are the same.

They are formed from a single die set.

Unique four stage operation to produce a pellet of outstanding quality, without any swage lines.

No lead pellet can penetrate and splinter bone better than the Logun Penetrator.

In tests the Penetrator had 26% better penetrative power than a domed diablo.

14% better than a pointed diablo pellet.

Available in .177 and .22 in two weights.

Now moving to FAC Theoben, so guess I had better sort some new slugs

Was it a young rabbit? I find that the smaller ones seem to bounce and hop for a moment. Its almost like the instantly fatal shots seem to stir up this reaction. If I use the HMR on head shots, its almost garunteed to generate this reaction in a younger rabbit.

However, my question would be, why did you let it thrash around for three minutes if you were concerned about the shot. You should have gone to make sure of the job straight away. :stupid:

Younger rabbits have no sense whatsoever, no idea what's dangerous and what isn't. Literally they are born with nothing in the way of skills.

They do have adrenaline though in bucket fulls. All nature gave them was the ability to run away, and natural drugs to help them along. Almost without exception a good head shot to a small rabbit and they seem like they are not dead, not sure about 3 minutes I would have stretched its neck by then mate :stupid:

Now moving to FAC Theoben, so guess I had better sort some new slugs

You can get them in 30graIN I THINK, MY MATE HAS A S16 IN 40FT AND HE USES THEM AND BOY DO THEY WACK THE BUNNIES!!!!!....DAMN CAPS LOCK!

Axe, it was a biggun, fully grown, and i didnt actually let it thrash intentionally, I was in some long grass, it popped its head up and i nailed it, but there were more to the left of it so i snuck another 20 yards and shot another one, retrieved that, before retrieving it, only to find it flipping around, i wrung its neck as soon as i realised, i like my shooting but i dont like to let anything suffer, the truth is there couldnt have been any brain left, must have been nerves.

I wonder if they see you, adrenaline is realised, but too late whack you shoot him but the adrenaline keeps going?:stupid:? Just a thought :stupid:

Nerves can be a funny thing. The young ones do thrash around a bit.

Oddest thing I had was after I had skinned a rabbit so all that was left was the meat and bones, it had been dead for over an hour when suddenly the whole carcass twitched and rippled. The carcass was still warm(ish) so the electrical impulses must have been in the muscle fibres still. :stupid:

I had a rabbit do something similar last week. It went down in the usual manner, 20 mins later I walked over to pick it up. The moment I grabbed the back legs the whole carcus gavea violent twitch. Took me by surprised infact it made me jump, my immediate reacition was to let go. :stupid: (dont laugh). Anyway, catching my nerves I noticed every now and then the carcus would twitch a little

Oddest thing I had was after I had skinned a rabbit so all that was left was the meat and bones, it had been dead for over an hour when suddenly the whole carcass twitched and rippled. The carcass was still warm(ish) so the electrical impulses must have been in the muscle fibres still. :stupid:

I had a similar experiance with an eel a few years ago in a restaurant i was working at. Skinned, prepped and trimmed, portioned up on my board - still tried to twitch away! :stupid:

:stupid:

I had a rabbit do something similar last week.

So do you forgive me my 3 minute indiscretion then? :stupid:

i did the same with a pike once, about 6-7 pounds, my dad wanted to eat it so he used a bank stick, whacked it on the head. and hour and a 1/2 journey later, im proudly carrying it up the garden and it starts thrashing around, i threw it into my dads newly filled, fortunaltel fishless koi pond and it swam away!!!!! It lived in there for months before he took it ot a lake and released it!!!! :good:

B)

i did the same with a pike once, about 6-7 pounds, my dad wanted to eat it so he used a bank stick, whacked it on the head. and hour and a 1/2 journey later, im proudly carrying it up the garden and it starts thrashing around, i threw it into my dads newly filled, fortunaltel fishless koi pond and it swam away!!!!! It lived in there for months before he took it ot a lake and released it!!!! B)

B) :good:

I use 18 grain exterminators through my mfr, they are perfect for hunting, they hit VERY hard, cousing alot of damage to the target, the weight of them put people of, they squash flat when hitting a metal target which aint no bad thing :good:

Got a pigeon in the chest yesterday, heres what they do ....

DSCF4263.jpg

The pellet ....

DSCF4270.jpg

Id stick with them mate B)

Oddest thing I had was after I had skinned a rabbit so all that was left was the meat and bones, it had been dead for over an hour when suddenly the whole carcass twitched and rippled. The carcass was still warm(ish) so the electrical impulses must have been in the muscle fibres still. :yes:

I had a similar experiance with an eel a few years ago in a restaurant i was working at. Skinned, prepped and trimmed, portioned up on my board - still tried to twitch away! :good:

Similar to this, i had a horrible shock the other evening after i had shot one right behind the eye, went down without a twitch, then as i put him in my gambag and walked on, it started thrashing about! i couldn't believe it!