Stock bending

JRDS

Been looking at a very nice gun on an on line auction. Just spoken to them for the drops and they are 40 / 63.5, I have 35 / 50 on both my current guns and they fit perfectly. The stock is a very high grade piece of walnut so I am 99% sure it would be asking too much to bend it that far and add some LH cast from RH after all if it breaks it is scrap and I wouldn't want to add a comb raiser to such a nice piece of wood. The stock is relatively new as the gun has been restocked recently. Just after some thoughts, closing bids are tomorrow tea time.

No one bending stocks will give you a garuntee it will not break.

Usualy all goes well,They after all do it for a living.

If you really like the gun,go for it,as you say it is new wood it will not have lost all its elasticity, so should go ok,all guns are a gamble,yours will be no less trouble than other guns..

G L..

As said, it's always stated at owners risk but any good gunsmith should be able to do this.

There are some good ones here on PW

It is always best to have a bit of straight grain through the hand of the stock which makes it less prone to mishaps, so I'm told,

Go for it, if not, you'll always regret not buying it.

OB

It is also (I believe) easier to bend straight hand stocks (rather than Prince of Wales or pistol grip) and the stock bolt (or lack of stock bolt) can also play a part. I have had two or three bent, but another the gunsmith advised me not to based on the pistol grip and stock design meaning that the area that would bend (i.e. the 'thin' part) was too small leading to a risk he considered too great.

It has a POW grip and is a sidelock.

I think that you need to take an opinion from a professional - but a sidelock has no stock bolt - and PoW has a relatively generous 'straight' area that could be bent slightly - but an expert opinion is needed after the gun has been viewed, because as has been mentioned, straight grain in the bend area is much less risky than complex grain in that area. I have no doubt that age and condition will also be taken into account by a skilled eye.

I had my old grandfathers BSA side by side boxlock stock fitted to me which involved bending it. The stocker knew his job and it took best part of a month after a good soaking and each morning he would turn the vice a tad more when he came in. It can be done but needs a skilled operative with loads of patience.

I recently sold a left handed 20 bore Macnab sideplated Highlander and the guy who bought it has said that his gunsmith (won't mention the name but very well known and respected in the trade) is trying to put cast off (right hand) for him, but due to the current heatwave, is proving difficult. Something to do with cooling the wood down. Anyone heard of this before ? I was told previously by my local gunsmith that setting it over would not be a problem despite the stock bolt as it was fairly straight grained through the grip. Just curious about the ambient temperature thing.

OB

Old boggy, if he is bending it with hot oil would you want to stand over a boiling pan of oil in the heat we've had recently? Maybe it's a comfort thing lol.

No, you`re right I wouldn`t. Never thought of that.

Well I won it. Its a 1947 AYA Sidelock Pigeon gun cw 2 sets of barrels 30 inch 3/4 & Full and a set of 28 inch 1/2 & Full.

I need to get it sent to my RFD for the stock work and to tighten the forend then I will post some pics.

Just for interest the advice I took regarding the stock was that they could usually be moved 1/4 > 3/8 vertically at comb.

Edited by JRDS

I presume that is a model 56? If so, very nice gun. I have had my No 1 AyA bent (cast and drop) with no problems.

You can send the serial number to Carmen at AyA who will give you the model no etc.

Edited by JohnfromUK